Topic: [Script] Web Page Scraper

Hello all,

Dmitry just added the HTTPGet function to it's latest beta version (2.2) and it's huuuuge !

I thought I'd give a little explanation for those of you who want to use it.

WHAT IS A WEB PAGE SCRAPER ?
It's a way to get info from the source code of a page, to save into a database (for example).

WHAT DO I NEED IT FOR ?
I use it for storing info about products I own, after getting the info directly from the web page of the seller, that way I have my own catalogue, without entering the info manually which is time consuming if there are a lot of products involved. In my case it's 3D assets, and the count is over 3.000.
I even added a "wishlist" with product infos and a "wanted" tag attached to the assets I'm looking for. Anyway...

LIMITATIONS
No need to build an application if you only need info from 1 page. The idea behind a web page scraper is to gain time by automating a process that would take forever to do manually.
The web page scraper will only work as long as the page format is not modified, because you need to find fixed positions in the source code of the page in order to retrieve the correct info.

Enough will all this. I prepared a little project so that you can see how it works.
I'm scraping the My Visual Database Homepage to get the current version number and the facebook page URL.

Remember :
- this is a nonsense to build an application just for that, but that's just an example of how it works.
- this works only with the page http://myvisualdatabase.com/, and as long as the presentation does not change.

The code is full commented, and function used are Delete and Pos. You can approach the problem with other string routines like Copy, that's up to you.

I wish you all a good day

Cheers

Mathias

Version required to test the project is beta 2.2

Post's attachments

Attachment icon MVD_Scraper.zip 335.02 kb, 948 downloads since 2015-11-12 

I'm a very good housekeeper !
Each time I get a divorce, I keep the house

Zaza Gabor

Re: [Script] Web Page Scraper

Thank you for the project!

Dmitry.

Re: [Script] Web Page Scraper

You're welcome Dmitry !

With all what you do, that was the minimum I could give back.

Hope it's not full of bugs smile

Cheers

Mathias

I'm a very good housekeeper !
Each time I get a divorce, I keep the house

Zaza Gabor