Topic: Starting to use MySQL Community edition

Hello,
I want to start learning about using MySQL Community edition. I have installed MySQL Community edition, choosing server only, and installed the workbench. I am intending to do all this on the local PC to start with, no LAN. The "Server Status" tab in workbench tells me the host name which is the name of the PC. In MVB I start a new project and set the database to MySQL and it comes up with a window labelled "Connect". I put the name of the PC in the "Server (Host)" field, the port is 3306, user name is root, and I put the password in I set when I installed the server. I click the green plus sign to see what it does and a message appears "Host 'OEM-PC.lan' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.'. Is there some basic step by step list of instructions that I can follow that will allow me to get started with this on my local PC with the aim to eventually provide end user software.
Thanks in advance for any help, David.

Re: Starting to use MySQL Community edition

Hello,

If MySQL server and My Visual Database located on the same PC, you should use this host:
or
localhost

Dmitry.

Thank you Dmitry, it works.
Should I set up a different account in Workbench and use that instead of the root account??
I will use this for a while and in a while I will probably be asking how to connect when it is on a different PC which could be either on the same LAN or across the internet if possible.
Thanks, David

For developing you can use a root account, but when your project will use some users, I recommend to create another MySQL account without permission to change database structure.

If your MySQL server on a different PC in your LAN, you should use LAN address of the PC  to connect to MySQL, usually this address looks like 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1, but you should know extract the address.

If you want connect via Internet, your PC with MySQL server should have public IP address (not private), more info:
https://www.iplocation.net/public-vs-private-ip-address

Dmitry.

Great, thanks.

Dmitry,

1. Does this mean that I can install the MySQL Community Edition server on one of the user PCs connected to the LAN? Then I don't have to install anything on there physical server. I would need to organize a backup procedure but I can get more advise at the time.

2. Does this also mean I could put the web browser version onto one of the LAN PCs as above?

Thanks for your help, David.

1. Yes.

2. Do you mean using WebGrid (beta version 2.4) ?
Besides MySQL server you should have installed PHP and Apache.

Here you can find ready to use Windows server, which include Apache, MySQL and PHP:
http://www.uniformserver.com/
http://www.uwamp.com/en/

Dmitry.

Dmitry, yes in 2. I mean using your WebGrid. I will not try it until learn more about MySQL. I have loads to learn.
Regards, David.

Hello,
Can someone also tell me how MySQL Community handles multiple concurrent access to a database record please. In some other applications where a user has opened a record and another user opens the same record after, the second user accessing the record gets a message advising that the record is already locked by another user and that it now cannot be edited, only viewed. Can someone please tell me if MVB has any messaging to advise a user of a record being locked by another user and anything else I could need to know about record locking when deploying into multi user environment.
Thanks for your help, David.

radsoft
Sorry for delay.

Here you can find info about row locking in the MySQL
http://www.xpertdeveloper.com/2011/11/r … ith-mysql/

Dmitry.