Topic: Array of Strings and SQL Execute

Hello.
I want to pick ID's from an SQL Execute and add it to the Array of Strings, so i can dump it later into another table.
Is it possible to use Array of Strings? and if so, can anyone give me an example?
Many thanks smile

Re: Array of Strings and SQL Execute

Hello Vasco,

I encountered a similuar situation when I wanted to compare values from my database with values found online. Here is how I solved the problem :

First I create a TStringList :

LocalList := TStringList.Create;

Then I populate the list with the result of a query :

SQLQuery('SELECT asset_sku FROM asset WHERE id_vendor = 1 AND asset_is_reserved = 0',Results);

//-----> Now let's fill the localList with the results of the query
                            while not Results.Eof do
                                begin
                                    LocalList.add(Results.FieldByName('asset_sku').AsString);
                                    Results.Next;
                                end;
                            Results.Free;

(in your case this would be id's and not asset_sku)

Now the list is full of local references, I use the same technique to create a second one but with online data.

OnlineList := TStringList.Create;

and I fill it with another procedure.

Comparing both list was just a matter of checking the existence of an item from one list into another like this :

for i := 0 to OnlineList.Count - 1 do
     begin
          if localList.IndexOf(onlineList.Strings(i)) = -1 then
     end;

meaning : "if index of element i from OnlineList into LocalList is not found (-1)  then..."
If another value is returned, it means that the element is present in the list and the value is it's index.

Now, regarding your array question. You usually create an Array by splinting a TStingList.

Remember the

LocalList.add(Results.FieldByName('asset_sku').AsString);

command ?

We did not mention any separator for the list, the default one being a comma. So to get an array of strings out of the list, it's just a matter of splitting into after every comma like this :

LocalArray := SplitString(LocalList,',');

(declare your Array of String or Integer into the variable section, but you do not need ti initialize (create) it before using)

SIDE NOTE 1
If you already have a string with value separated by commas, you can load it directly into a TstringList like this :

OnlineList := TStringList.Create;
OnlineList.CommaText := sku_string;

SIDE NOTE 2
So, TstringList or Array ? That's up to you. I personally find it easier with TstingList to handle data in memory, to add or remove values and so on. All those things you can certainly do with an Array as well. But Array, especially multi-dimensional ones can get tricky, so I tend to stick to the following principle : KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Hope this helped a little

Cheers

Mathias

I'm a very good housekeeper !
Each time I get a divorce, I keep the house

Zaza Gabor

you are the best!
I'll take a look at this and try to adapt in my situation.
I want to be able to select everything from a table , and plant it to another.

mathamandu, is results a string or an array?

Mathmandu, i need an example, can you send me your project, or a similar project that uses this? thanks

Hello,

Sorry I missed you message.

The content of a TStringList is a string, with all the values separated by a comma

If you want an array, you need to split the TStringList with the correct command:

LocalArray := SplitString(LocalList,',');

Sending you an example is not really easy as I have no project in mind that could help you right now.

But if you want to transfer a table's content to another, why do you plan on using TStringLists or Arrays ? Why not direct SQL or SQLTransactions ?

Give me a little more detail on what you want to do and I'll try to find an answer for you

Cheers

Mathias

Zaza Gabor

hi Mathias. thanks for your help.

My question is after filling the localarray with all these id's, (and it seems that i can get an i to c do to grab all id's from a tablegrid into an array, so that's half of the problem solfed, how do i use this "data" to , for example, add lines into a memo ? if i know how to do this i'll learn how to write the correct sql message.

Many thanks

hey Mathias. just came here to thank you.
I figure it out how to do this , it was easier than i tought. the script is working fine now, i'm almost finished with my database! (Finally) smile

Hey Vasco,

I am sorry I missed your previous post sad

But you finally found your solution right ?

If not, do not hesitate to ask, I will pay more attention to notifications smile

Cheers

Math

Zaza Gabor