Re: Eisenhower matrix

Hi Derek, Hi Sparrow,

Thank you very much Derek for cut down new approach..................

Thank you very much Sparrow for correcting my sample ..................

Your kind help truly appreciated.................

Adam
God... please help me become the person my dog thinks I am.

Really beautiful, congratulations!

Hi Derek,
I have seen your project, beautiful as always.
I'd like to let you know what I've discovered and maybe if you make corrections, explain to me what was wrong.
In the delete buttons you have chosen not to ask for confirmation to delete the record. Instead, I set each delete button to ask for confirmation.
Here is how the program behaves at this point:

1) if you create a task in the first tablegrid, select the record and then exit the tablegrid with the mouse, the record moves to the second tablegrid. If you then select the record, passed into the second tablegrid and exit the second tablegrid with the mouse, the record returns to the first.

2) if you create a record in the second tablegrid it is saved in the fourth. Not always but most of the time.

3) if you delete a record from any of the first 3 tablegrids and when asked to confirm the deletion you say no, the record moves to the fourth tablegrid

29 (edited by reteinformatica 2023-06-14 07:57:52)

By doing other tests, after I wrote the post, I discovered that the described behaviors occur even if you don't set the cancel buttons are set without a confirmation request. Practically it happens that if you select a record from any tablegrid and exit the tablegrid with the mouse entering another tablegrid (without keeping the record clicked), the record passes into the tablegrid where you enter with the mouse.

Hi Fabio,
Partly to try and fix some of the problems you identified and partly because I wanted to see how few lines of code I could use(!), I changed the basic style.
So now, instead of 'clicking and dragging' you click to select the 'task' you want to move and then click again when you have moved to a different grid.
It's perhaps not quite so 'user-friendly' as the 'drag and drop' style (for that, Sparrow's solution is best).
And ultimately, I'd agree with both Sparrow and Konstantin (K245) that a simple prioritised list is probably a much easier solution anyway.
Regards,
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon task list reworked and simplified.zip 342.34 kb, 66 downloads since 2023-06-15 

Hi Derek,

I like these simplified versions.
If in your first example "task list simplified", let's rewrite the procedures:

procedure source (Sender: TObject; MouseLeft, MouseRight, MouseMiddle: boolean; Shift, Alt, Ctrl: boolean; X, Y: Integer);  //** mousedown to set the cursor to crdrag (cosmetic)
begin
  if Ctrl then screen.cursor := crdrag;
end;

procedure getrowid (Sender: TObject; MouseLeft, MouseRight, MouseMiddle: boolean; Shift, Alt, Ctrl: boolean; X, Y: Integer);  //** mouseup to get the id of the task
begin
  if Ctrl then form1.edit2.text := TdbStringGridEx(Sender).sqlvalue;
end;

this will remove the problems of false click, but will add work to the finger of the left hand (press Ctrl ).
The code will not increase by one line.
And one more working variant of the matrix.

Hi Sparrow,
Thanks for the suggestion - it fixes the problem nicely.
Yet another option (less 'drag and drop' and more 'keyboard') might be to use elements of editable tablegrids (see attached).
MVD - far too many choices!! smile
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon task list by yet another option.zip 341.82 kb, 72 downloads since 2023-06-16 

Hi derek and sparrow,
thanks for the explanations and the always very interesting methods.