Topic: Promotion

I have a project that seeks to promote students from on grade to another and from one class to another.

Example

Say in the Computer Science programme, we have four classes due to students number. So in Form 1 we have  the classes 1 ComSci 1, 1 ComSci 2,  1 ComSci 3 and  1 ComSci 4.

Now when they are promoted the following year, All Form 1 should change to Form 2 and the classes now named  2 ComSci 1,  2 ComSci 2, 2 ComSci 3 and 2 ComSci 4

I want a programme to do that for me

Thsnk you in advance for your immense contribution

2 (edited by derek 2020-08-14 18:00:02)

Re: Promotion

Hi Humblelion,
Perhaps try it like this (please see attached).
Bear in mind that if, for example, you have students in Form1 AND Form2, you need to promote Form2 to Form3 BEFORE you promote Form1 to Form2 (otherwise the 'new' Form2 students will merge with the 'old' Form2 students and then they will ALL get promoted to Form3).
To prevent that happening (I don't know how likely that might be), you might want to use a 'promotion sequence number'  or something like that so you could rollback your changes).
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon promotestudents.zip 339.68 kb, 250 downloads since 2020-08-14 

derek wrote:

Hi Humblelion,
Perhaps try it like this (please see attached).
Bear in mind that if, for example, you have students in Form1 AND Form2, you need to promote Form2 to Form3 BEFORE you promote Form1 to Form2 (otherwise the 'new' Form2 students will merge with the 'old' Form2 students and then they will ALL get promoted to Form3).
To prevent that happening (I don't know how likely that might be), you might want to use a 'promotion sequence number'  or something like that so you could rollback your changes).
Derek.

Thank for your quick response.

This is such a great sample but there is one thing i wish to add, that is their classes to say from 1 ComSci 1 to 2 ComSci 1, where the preceeding numbers are their year group. Example 1ComSci1 means the student is in year 1 and is  in Computer Science class 1 and 2ComSci1 means the student is in year 2 and is  in Computer Science class 1.

Therefore once the student is promoted from Form 1 to Form 2 the class should also change from 1ComSci1 to 2ComSci1

Good morning MVD lovers.

Please help me with the topic above

5 (edited by derek 2020-08-19 00:02:25)

Hi,
I don't really understand why you need to add the year identifier to the Class (for example, 1ComSci3) when you already know the year  from the Form itself (Form1 ComSci3).  It just seems like redundant data.  But if it has to be that way, perhaps a way to approach it would be to use a calculated field that adds the Form year to the Class (see attached).
Other than that, I'd just hold the data in 'Class' table and not bother with a 'Form' table at all.  If you do it this way, you would need to promote one class at a time.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon promotestudents1.zip 339.83 kb, 275 downloads since 2020-08-19 

derek wrote:

Hi,
I don't really understand why you need to add the year identifier to the Class (for example, 1ComSci3) when you already know the year  from the Form itself (Form1 ComSci3).  It just seems like redundant data.  But if it has to be that way, perhaps a way to approach it would be to use a calculated field that adds the Form year to the Class (see attached).
Other than that, I'd just hold the data in 'Class' table and not bother with a 'Form' table at all.  If you do it this way, you would need to promote one class at a time.
Derek.

Wow, DEREK you are a genius. Thank you so much. You really saved me. My project only target class, the reason for that. Thank you once again