Topic: Control and Arrow keys

Hi all,
When I'm editing one of my forms I like to get everything lined up so it looks good.
-
I've discovered that if I use the Control plus Arrow Keys that I can move the fields and labels into position.  This is a nice feature.
-
However the problem is that sometimes it works and other time is doesn't.  When it doesn't work, I can keep hitting the Control and an arrow repeatedly and nothing happens.  Then later when I do the same thing it starts working.
-
This feature works fine all the time when creating reports.
-
Any ideas will be appreciated
Thanks, Frank

2 (edited by derek 2020-10-30 23:12:02)

Re: Control and Arrow keys

Hi Frank,
Never had that problem so not sure what it could be down to.
But a couple of related things to mention that could help when you're lining objects up on a form that you may or may not be aware of (please see the attached screen capture).
1) there is the option to switch on 'display grid' which helps to visually align objects;  the size of the grid display (concentration of the dots!) is determined by the 'grid size' option - the lower the number, the more you can fine tune an object's alignment.
2) the 'grid size' option doesn't just determine the number of 'dots' you see when the 'grid display' is switched on.  It also determines the increments that the object moves by when you drag it with the mouse and this is irrespective of whether 'display grid' is selected or not.
Perhaps if you set your 'grid size' lower, you can place your objects on the form accurately enough with the mouse alone and not have to use CTRL+arrow keys.
But at the end of the day, it's whatever works best for you.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon screenshot.jpg 336.5 kb, 97 downloads since 2020-10-31 

Derek,
Thanks for the info.
-
Yes, I am familiar with the Grid size and the dots.  I've played around with changing the size of the grid.  Interestingly I noticed that when I make the grid size real small, like a 4, then it's a little easier to line up the fields.  However if I grab a bunch of fields and drag them to move them up or down, then it takes a really long time.  It looks to me like it is going from grid line to grid line and when there are more grid lines it goes slower.  I guess that's to be expected.
-
So what seems to work for me is a grid size of 7.
-
Also if I line up the fields to a grid line when I'm placing them on the form, it makes it so that I don't have to do much moving around of the fields.
-
As far as the Control Arrows working only sometimes, maybe it's my computer?  But like I said it does work OK in the Report editing so I'm not sure why it's different in MVD.
-
It's a little frustrating when I want to move a field just a little, but overall it's not that big a deal.
Thanks, Frank

Hello Derek, Hello papafrankc

To perfectly align the components in height and width, you can also use the Left, Heigt, Top and Width properties of each of the components.
I do this commonly because the alignment to the grid points is not always perfect.
Protect yourself well against the viral enemy

JB

Jean,
Thanks for the tip.  I checked a few of my fields on one of my forms and the top of a few of them were off by 1-2 pixels.  You can't really notice the difference by eye, but it's nice to be able to fine tune their positioning.  It's a great way to make sure the fields are all lined up.
-
Thanks, Frank

6 (edited by papafrankc 2020-11-06 03:02:07)

A follow-up to the Ctrl Arrow key problem I was asking about.
-
By trial and error I discovered that if I Double Click on an empty part of the form then select my Label or Text box, the Ctrl Arrow keys work every time.  Maybe this sequence resets something ???  Not sure what it does but it works for me.
-
Jean's suggestion to use the position properties numbers to position the field is great and does take care of absolute positioning.  My solution above may be a little faster, but having 2 options is nice.
-
Thanks, Frank