Topic: Guidance on a project - open to suggestions

Greetings,

Looking for some suggestions and guidance on my first project as I am at a decision point as how to proceed from here...  The app is for tracking audits... so there are the clients, the audit proper and the procedures to be performed for an audit.  These audits are done on an annual basis for the most part but can range from monthly (clients in distress) up to about 18 months between (usually because of purchasing a new entity and trying to fold it into their current business).

These audits are on the performance of a companies Accounts Receivables which are being used as collateral for lending programs offered by various banks.  Formally called Account Receivable Securitization.

I have all of the basic components, lookup tables, etc already built, but am down to hooking the pieces together to function as an app.  I can see two possible approaches and with MVD wonder if there are benefits to one approach over another.

First, I could base totally off of the client.  From the client I could then select the audit period (eg. 2020 Jan  or  2021 Jan) then dig down to the procedure being worked on and the details that surround that procedure.

OR

Second, I could base off the Audit and treat both the client  and the procedure as the browse lookups to the Audit.

For the way things work both the easiest and cleanest, is there a better choice when doing a project in MVD, as to the approach when you have multiple levels such as this?

While there are multiple types of audits for a client (based on needs) there are some constants for any kind of audit too.   I would like to be able to copy previous audit transactions, updating to the new audit and clearing out fields that are not yet completed to make setup quicker for rolling into the next audit so whatever method is employed about the procedure transactions should be able to be duplicated to the new audits tagging.

The key to those items should be ....  client_id + audit_id + procedure_id

Comment, considerations, suggestions to those more experienced with MVD.

Regards,
Keith

Re: Guidance on a project - open to suggestions

Brother, with my visual database you can do everything, or almost everything, having well defined what you want.  Define a database structure and mount the application on top of it.

Re: Guidance on a project - open to suggestions

Hi Keith,
Just seen your post.
From the options that you outline (client driven or audit driven), there is no significant advantage to doing it one way or the other.  It probably comes down to which is a better fit with your working practices. 
You could always adopt both approaches (although giving users a choice of how to do things can sometimes make it confusing).
If you decide on 'client driven', you could use 3 linked tablegrids for a total overview (client to audit, audit to audit process).  If you decide on 'audit driven', it's probably just 2 linked grids (audit to audit process).  Neither is difficult to set up.
With regard to copying exising audits or parts of audits, again, I can't see it making much difference which approach you take. 
Derek.