Topic: First lesson from the book, .exe file not opening up

Hello,

I tried the first project in the ebook of My Visual Database, after completing all the steps of setting up all the forms and configuring all of them, I press the green play button (Run Project) and nothing happens. Another Icon of 'My Visual Database' Appears in the Windows 10 Taskbar but it does not open up on the desktop when I click it. I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, I tried copying the project exe file and run on another laptop then this error came up which I have put a screenshot of.

Please somebody help me with this

Re: First lesson from the book, .exe file not opening up

Hi,
The quickest way to get some help is to attach your project to your post.
To do this, first delete the .exe file and then zip the project folder and attach the zipped file to your message (the .exe file gets recreated when you run the program).
Regards,
Derek.

3 (edited by judas.priest 2022-10-07 08:25:00)

derek wrote:

Hi,
The quickest way to get some help is to attach your project to your post.
To do this, first delete the .exe file and then zip the project folder and attach the zipped file to your message (the .exe file gets recreated when you run the program).
Regards,
Derek.

Okay, I have attached the file now

I am not seeing the attached file, how do I attach files here ? I cannot post any links

Have a look at the screenshots in the zipped attachment to see how to upload an attachment.
1.  In screenshot JP1, click on 'choose file', navigate to where the zip file is located, select it and click 'open'.
2.  In screenshot JP2, the name of the selected zip file is displayed.  If this is correct, then click 'add file'. and then click 'submit reply'
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon jp.zip 132.2 kb, 184 downloads since 2022-10-07 

Attaching the file will be helpful as mentioned by Derek, but in the meantime, it might be worth checking your antivirus or firewall is not preventing the program from opening correctly.

On a clear disk you can seek forever

derek wrote:

Have a look at the screenshots in the zipped attachment to see how to upload an attachment.
1.  In screenshot JP1, click on 'choose file', navigate to where the zip file is located, select it and click 'open'.
2.  In screenshot JP2, the name of the selected zip file is displayed.  If this is correct, then click 'add file'. and then click 'submit reply'
Derek.

I followed the same method, let me try again.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon First Lesson.zip 325.68 kb, 202 downloads since 2022-10-07 

Hi Judas.Priest, CDB,
At some stage, it looks like you changed the 'alphablend' property on the Form1.object to 'true' (the default is 'false').
If you change it to 'true', then you also need to provide an 'alphablendvalue' - leaving it at 0 will mean your form is totally transparent.  So ironically, it was working - you just couldn't see it because of its transparency!
It's not usual to have the 'alphablend' property set to anything other than 'false'.
Other than that, everything else looks good.
Attached is your project with the 'alphablend' set to 'false' and a screenshot of where the alphablend setting is found.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon First Lesson fixed.zip 402.52 kb, 195 downloads since 2022-10-07 

derek wrote:

Hi Judas.Priest, CDB,
At some stage, it looks like you changed the 'alphablend' property on the Form1.object to 'true' (the default is 'false').
If you change it to 'true', then you also need to provide an 'alphablendvalue' - leaving it at 0 will mean your form is totally transparent.  So ironically, it was working - you just couldn't see it because of its transparency!
It's not usual to have the 'alphablend' property set to anything other than 'false'.
Other than that, everything else looks good.
Attached is your project with the 'alphablend' set to 'false' and a screenshot of where the alphablend setting is found.
Derek.

Many, Many thanks for the help ... this is the kind of support one does not even receive from very high end companies !
Keep up the good work