Topic: News about the future of myvdb

Hello, do you have any news about the future of this fantastic application? it is a real regret that it is no longer updated and that it cannot express all the potential that it still contains in it. I'm not a programmer, but since 2015 it has allowed me to create complex applications that I never thought possible. I sincerely hope that this stalemate will be resolved in the best possible way. Has anyone found any alternative and similar application?

Re: News about the future of myvdb

Hello madbit71

It is true that many MVD users regret that MVD is no longer developed. Dmitri, its creator, left on other tracks (Web, Python) and it would be surprising if he returned to MVD. But we can always dream of it.
As alternatives you have (I only mention the free ones): Symphytum, Limnor Studio, NSBase.
So, for me, I went back to Lazarus.
JB

jean.brezhonek wrote:

Hello madbit71

It is true that many MVD users regret that MVD is no longer developed. Dmitri, its creator, left on other tracks (Web, Python) and it would be surprising if he returned to MVD. But we can always dream of it.
As alternatives you have (I only mention the free ones): Symphytum, Limnor Studio, NSBase.
So, for me, I went back to Lazarus.
JB

I looked at this alternative projects.

Symphytum. This is a very simple system that offers data storage in tables without relational relationships. But I liked the editing form editor.
Limnor Studio. This is too complicated system, although it is positioned as a no-code system, the interface is quite complicated, I could not figure it out quickly.
NSBase. Close analogue, clear and simple concept. Localization is lame, but it's not critical.

I would add DataExpress to this list, but this system does not have localization into languages other than Russian.

Визуальное программирование: блог и телеграм-канал.

4 (edited by vovka3003 2023-03-29 11:14:59)

k245 wrote:

NSBase

Качаю и пробую примерно раз в полгода. Пока результат один - свалилась, сломалась, выкинул...

k245 wrote:

I would add DataExpress to this list, but this system does not have localization into languages other than Russian.

Почему нет? Есть.
https://i.imgur.com/U5VRrjU.png

Greetings!

But we can always dream of it.

I am with you...

I looked at this alternative projects.

Nice comparisons K and thank you.  That DataExpress seems like a clone of MVD lol

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

6 (edited by k245 2023-03-29 12:03:04)

In did!

http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9305&download=0

Post's attachments

Attachment icon en.png 22.93 kb, 46 downloads since 2023-03-29 

Is there any help in english ?  Does it create also sn exe file like mvdb?

v_pozidis wrote:

Does it create also sn exe file like mvdb?

Нет, но можно использовать google translate

v_pozidis wrote:

Does it create also sn exe file like mvdb?

Нет. Среда исполнения одновременно является средой программирования.

Hi Joshua, Jean, Konstantin, Everyone,
I suppose there are several reasons why people look for alternatives to MVD, principally:
1.  Discontinued Software
This issue is not unique to MVD - there are many examples of software which are no longer in active development (including, I believe, NS Base that has been previously mentioned).  However, unless you stick with something that is so mainstream (eg Access - no thanks!), there will always be an element of risk that a product may be discontinued.
2.  Lack of functionality
What appears to be a lack of functionality is often simply a lack of awareness of all of MVD's features.  I have been using MVD for a few years now and yet I still find new things almost every time I use it.  I don't imagine any of us use MVD to its full potential. 
When Dmitry was actively supporting MVD, he was often too helpful and provided new functions promptly and on request when perhaps the same thing could have been achieved if we had just approached our problems from a different direction.
3.  Lack of support.
This is always a concern with any software.  However, I have always found the Forum to be an excellent place to come to for help;  so long as the Forum remains available to us, then I don't have too many concerns.
One alternative that I have tried is Visual Neo Win which appears to be a logical advance on MVD;  but with more options (just how many styles of 'button' do you need!!), more database connectivity etc etc comes more complexity.  Each of us has to decide at which point it is an acceptable trade-off.
Having investigated most of the alternatives that have been mentioned on the Forum (and from Google searches) over the years, all that they do is simply remind me of the reasons why I chose MVD in the first place;  it's balance of 'ease of use' and functionality (either directly or through scripts) is hard to beat.
Derek.

10 (edited by reteinformatica 2023-03-29 19:32:02)

Where can it download DataExpress?

11 (edited by joshuA 2023-04-09 03:00:02)

reteinformatica wrote:

Where can it download DataExpress?

Funny enough K245 just posted that link in another thread earlier over here

Hi Derek, thanks also for sharing your thoughts on this too.  I don't see any need to switch to another alternative for MVD.  However, I do browse out of curiosity from time to time.
I totally agree, and I was thinking about that just earlier today actually.  It is rather mind boggling at how Dmitry has created such an exceptional tool.  Nothing that I have used has even come close to its simple efficiency packed with such potential.
A year or so ago, I had a slight concern about the newer versions of windows being an issue.  It is reassuring to know that some of you are still going strong even on those platforms too.
Going between 7 and 10, 11- I had noticed a few minor quirks with certain control properties being slightly different (such as colors not being recognized).  I'm sure this will slowly get worst over time as MS continues making these unnecessary changes to windows.  Bah!
Edit: added
To specify what I was referring to about "certain control properties i.e. colors not being recognized" was the combobox.
Using Windows 7, the BgColor property can be set
Using Windows 11, in order to set BgColor, the Searchable property must also be set to true
I am probably one of the few that even cares about this lol  but I use it occasionally
End edit
And yes, the members of this forum are also the other part that make it so great!  Thank you all for that!
-joshuA

Thanks joshuA. What bad news though.

We will continue to be present on this forum which has taught us so much. Thank you all.

Destiny

14 (edited by vovka3003 2023-03-30 12:14:27)

joshuA wrote:

Nothing that I have used has even come close to its simple efficiency packed with such potential.

Наверное не все пробовали...
https://i.imgur.com/21viutV.png

I think I stay with MVDB. As long the forum is alive then there is no worry.  DataExpress is a great software, but if it had a help file in english it would be much better. A minus the it has no executable file and no database file.

16 (edited by vovka3003 2023-03-30 12:39:00)

v_pozidis wrote:

DataExpress is a great software, but if it had a help file in english it would be much better.

Неужели так не проканает..?
Вообще, поднимите руку те, кто всегда начинает работу в какой-нибудь программе с чтения справки? smile

v_pozidis wrote:

A minus the it has no executable file and no database file.

Firebird (Embed/Server).

Hello everyone, my concern is related to the fact that sooner or later, hopefully later, compatibility with future versions of the operating system will cease.
Thank you for your alternative suggestions.
I've tried Visualneo these days but the feeling it left me was that of a claustrophobic closure between the wizards. Another concern is to end up in the vortex of paid plugins.
It's a good product, but the freedom that myvdb offers is unmatched.
With myvdb you can do everything that comes to your mind in a thousand ways, offering the possibility of creating a very professional final product.
The only alternative solution, in my opinion, will be to switch to lazarus ... but for the near future I will continue to use this product which represents a unique and rare pearl in the panorama of rad applications.
Another strong point is this forum (I've never seen such an active and productive forum!) characterized by an enormous willingness of the more expert users to help those, like me, who need clarification.
Thank you all.

madbit71 wrote:

Hello everyone, my concern is related to the fact that sooner or later, hopefully later, compatibility with future versions of the operating system will cease.
Thank you for your alternative suggestions.
I've tried Visualneo these days but the feeling it left me was that of a claustrophobic closure between the wizards. Another concern is to end up in the vortex of paid plugins.
It's a good product, but the freedom that myvdb offers is unmatched.
With myvdb you can do everything that comes to your mind in a thousand ways, offering the possibility of creating a very professional final product.
The only alternative solution, in my opinion, will be to switch to lazarus ... but for the near future I will continue to use this product which represents a unique and rare pearl in the panorama of rad applications.
Another strong point is this forum (I've never seen such an active and productive forum!) characterized by an enormous willingness of the more expert users to help those, like me, who need clarification.
Thank you all.

FLIPABIT
https://flipabit.dev/

runabase
https://runabase.com/

20 (edited by vovka3003 2023-04-02 16:21:30)

pavlenko.vladimir.v wrote:

runabase
https://runabase.com/

"Забивалка данных". Больше не умеет ровным счетом ничего... Да еще и с привязкой к "серверу Васи" в многопользовательском режиме с пожизненными отчислениями. Начиная с версии 5 - угроблен интерфейс QT-шными "новинками". Разработка ведется по принципу: "а давай попробуем так, не получилось - давай этак".

Hi vovka,

vovka3003 wrote:

Наверное не все пробовали...

Yeah- sadly, I have not done so.
Да, к сожалению, я этого не сделал.
Thanks for sharing that demo.  It is second on my list- especially since there are English translations.
Спасибо, что поделились этой демонстрацией. Он стоит вторым в моем списке - тем более, что есть перевод на английский язык.

-joshuA

Any Weblink for DataExpress? I get only some unrelated advertises via google.

teco049 wrote:

Any Weblink for DataExpress? I get only some unrelated advertises via google.

https://mydataexpress.ru/

On a clear disk you can seek forever

24 (edited by radsoft 2023-04-23 07:17:28)

Hello everyone, I haven't developed any new applications in MVD for quite some time but I still visit this forum with interest. As abandonment of the MVD project is now in years, we all know it's risky deploying new applications and I'm slowly redeveloping mine using other systems. We can't predict when any of the add-on components will fail and allowing this risk in a deployed application is unthinkable.

If people are committed to Pascal, I'd say that the next logical step is Lazarus. I was using Lazarus years ago and it is still actively developed and released free of charge. I did some small project work back then and was very pleased with it. Take a look at the Application Gallery on their web site and one cannot help but wonder what a newbie could work towards achieving. Yes, it will take more work than we're used to but in the very least I believe I need to be transitioning to other systems in order to be confident in what I deploy.

Another excellent feature of MVD is the forum. We can ask any questions and the trail of posts remains friendly and helpful.

I'm expecting MVD users are mostly like-minded and areas of difficulty in other software would be common to most users transitioning.

I still regard MVD as the best database development software I've ever used but unresolved bugs and the growing gap between the last update and current time amounts to a growing risk.

An idea - Would it be possible for someone to setup and administer a completely separate forum where people could discuss how they can achieve equivalent features in other software such as Lazarus? For example, you want to sort columns, ask the forum. I'm thinking that there could be value in some sort of forum to assist people in transitioning until they're ready to participate in the full forum.

It's just an idea but thoughts??

Lazarus developer forums exist:

https://www.cyberforum.ru/lazarus/
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php
https://www.programmersforum.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=67
http://www.freepascal.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
http://iforum.pro/lazarus-112/

But you propose to create (and administer) a form for those who want to migrate from MVDB to Lazarus. I do not see any practical sense in this because of the small number of participants in this process. It's easier to create an appropriate thread in one of the existing forums.

As for the transition itself, losses cannot be avoided. In particular, the FastScript reporting system is not free and will not be available in lazarus. The same can be said about the tabular data display component.

And in the rest, you are absolutely right - the risks of staying on MVDB are high.