Topic: Translation error message deleting linked field

Hello everyone and thank you for your attention.
Is there a possibility to translate the error window (screen shot attached) that pops up when trying to delete a field that has links to fields in other tables?
Thanks to all and greetings

Post's attachments

Attachment icon error.jpg 17.55 kb, 31 downloads since 2023-05-13 

Re: Translation error message deleting linked field

Ciao Fabio,
Try it something like this (see attached).
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon foreign key translation.zip 677.29 kb, 102 downloads since 2023-05-13 

3 (edited by reteinformatica 2023-05-13 19:01:13)

Hi derek just what i wanted to know. A thousand thanks!
But I would immediately have a new translation question:
By right-clicking in a TableGrid and choosing an item from the menu that opens "Delete record", if you have not selected anything in the TableGrid, a new window opens (screen shot attached) "Enable to determine the record ID".
I tried with:

translate ('Enable_to_determinate_the_record_ID', 'Nessun record selezionato');

But it does not work. Is there any hope of translating for this window too?
Thank you!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Senza titolo.jpg 8.98 kb, 29 downloads since 2023-05-13 

Hi,
It works for me (see attached).
Perhaps check your spelling of the original error message.  According to your message you are checking for

translate ('Enable_to_determinate_the_record_ID', 'Nessun record selezionato');

It should be

'Unable_to_determine_the_record_ID'

Derek

Post's attachments

Attachment icon foreign key translation2.zip 677.5 kb, 80 downloads since 2023-05-14 

5 (edited by reteinformatica 2023-05-14 11:54:09)

Oh what nonsense!
Luckily I don't usually use swear words otherwise one would have been good here.
I had just written "Enable" instead of "Unable".
Attached I insert your project with some changes I made. Basically I made 'TableGrid1' of the form 'FormSetUp' editable and I removed the button to delete the record "Button2".
Now in the TableGrid with the right click you can find the command "Delete Record". The translated error message should appear here.
If you look at the attachment I tried with a completely broken code but I don't understand what are the right properties.
Look what I managed to combine on the attribution of "Sender".
Thanks Derek!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon foreign key translation by fabio.zip 544.79 kb, 83 downloads since 2023-05-14 

Hi Derek, Fabio

Derek project mod.
Look example.
Translate message, reassign event ... Delete button, PopUpMenu Del and error message KEY...

Post's attachments

Attachment icon foreign key translation2-1.zip 556.55 kb, 112 downloads since 2023-05-14 

Hi Sparrow,
Linking a procedure to the dbpopupmenu item to then 'click' a hidden 'delete record' button - very neat!
Kudos!
Derek.

Hi sparrow and derek,
I get what I have to do, I thought there was a more direct instruction.
A thousand thanks!

@reteinformatica What did you use to create the VSF file to get the nice button icons?

10 (edited by reteinformatica 2023-06-05 18:03:12)

Hi Tcoton,
Sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean by VSF. If you meant to use icons for buttons you can use "Unicode Symbols" by googling and simply copying and pasting as button caption.
As derek explains in this thread: http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8457

I mean the VCL style of the application, there is a style.vsf in your project and it looks easier to do this than playing with a lot of scripts to change the appearance of the app.

12 (edited by reteinformatica 2023-06-05 20:42:33)

Ah, then I don't know what to tell you because I'm not good enough to even edit these files.
I didn't even understand which project you are referring to, in this thread I have not inserted any project, derek has inserted one, but I would always say using the symbols as caption.

I am referring to the project "foreign key translation2-1" on post #6 so maybe the style has been done by Derek?? It is also present in your project in http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8457 post #2 same style applied with a style.vsf file.

14 (edited by reteinformatica 2023-06-05 21:12:27)

Ah yes, so they are unicode symbols used as caption.

No, I am talking about the forms and buttons color, the global application look within the project that are defined by this style.vsf file. By default, MVD buttons are pretty standard (ugly?). Maybe you got the file somewhere and you are using it by default for all your projects?

Hi Tcoton, Fabio,
Hopefully this will clarify things.
Using project 'foreign key translation 2-1' as the example that you mentioned -
1.  It uses the 'cyan dusk' style (.vsf (visual styles form)).
2.  The 'images' on the buttons are unicode symbols and so can be copied (and resized if required) on to each button's caption;  for example instead of typing in 'Configuration' as a button's caption, you could use an appropriate unicode symbol. 
3.  Using unicode symbols instead of text for button captions has nothing to do with the visual styles forms (.vsf) and can be done even when using the 'default' MVD style.  Attached is a re-post of an project I put together a while back with some of the  unicode symbols that I commonly use;  there are a couple of screenshots that show the steps involved when setting it up.
4.  Unicode symbols can be used not just as button captions but anywhere that you can enter text (ie labels, comboboxes, tablegrid cells etc).
Note that it is possible to switch off certain elements of any of the visual styles forms - for example, I sometimes want to display labels on a form in a different colour (the default for the 'cyan dusk' style is black) so I would switch off this specific part of the visual styles form functionality.
Regards,
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon button symbols.zip 595.39 kb, 75 downloads since 2023-06-06