Topic: Export Forms

Is there a way to export forms between projects?  Is this a plausible feature that can be implemented?  I would like to reuse forms already built and don't like rebuilding.

If there are no plans to do so, can you describe how this can be achieved and I may work on such a tool.

Thank you,
  Rob

Re: Export Forms

You can select all controls on form (using Shift) then copy to clipboard and paste in new project.

Dmitry.

3 (edited by rjkantor 2014-12-18 15:04:55)

I have built a quick app that will allow copying forms from one project into another.

Here is a screenshot of the beta version of this utility  http://www.backdoortechnology.com/public/MVD%20Form%20Copier.png

There are four steps to using this utility application.

1. List Forms - select the forms.xml from the project you want to copy
2. Select the destination project forms.xml
3. Export - will copy the selected form into the destination project forms.xml file (if the make backup is selected, a .bak of the destination file will be made)
4. Launch MVD

I have a working beta and working out any bugs.  Will make a beta available shortly for testing.

Thank you,
  Rob

Thank you for the tool.

p.s.
I don't see screenshot.

Dmitry.

Here is a beta version of the form copier application.

http://backdoortechnology.com/public/mvdFormCopier.zip

Please let me know of any issues you may find.  Requires .NET for installation.

rjkantor wrote:

Please let me know of any issues you may find.  Requires .NET for installation.

known issues:
- no shortcut in program menu, need to launch from actual installation windows folder.

New version posted, same link http://backdoortechnology.com/public/mvdFormCopier.zip

Fixed: Shortcut in Start Menu
Refactored main form

I tried but I can not find project aims MVDB as in the picture, post it if you are kind to help me much, much project aims MVD Catalog helps me ... I could not rename, configure, little help ... thanks in advance.

Link is dead. This is something I could really use..

Does anyone have a copy that they could send me?

Alan

10 (edited by derek 2020-12-03 17:11:22)

Hi Alan,
You've got two basic options.
1.  If you want to copy ALL of the forms over from an existing project, you could take a copy of forms.xml from the source project and paste it into the target project.   Bear in mind that some of edit fields, comboboxes etc may still have their table and field definitions so they'll need resetting.
2.  If you want to copy a single form -
a)   right click anywhere within that form and click 'select all'
b)  right click and select 'copy'
Then go to the new project, create an empty form (and make it larger enough)  and then click 'paste' and the source form should now be copied across.
If you need to 'fine tune' the new form, again right click on the form and click 'select all' and then just drag all the elements to exactly where you want them to be (I tend to find it's best to drag them quite slowly otherwise they might lose their relative positions slightly).
Derek.

Thanks, I'll work with that.

Alan

The link is not online