Topic: Report files .fr3 stored in Database possible

Hi,
I am new to MyVisualDatabase and testing the trial version.
Could somebody give me a little help with reports?
Our current invoice software has stored the report templates (the .fr3 files) not as file but in a database.
is this also possible with MyVisualDatabase? Has this kind of storing an advantage? We will work with MySQL over a Network connection. Report templates should be managed/edited central like at our old software.
The software company of our invoice software has gone out of business and we need to replace the software.
Any other idea how to share/distribute report templates to various workplaces? We have 2 satellite offices which are connected via VPN to get access to the MySQL Database. All should have identical reports and less work with updating (only sales people at the satellite offices - they know how to turn on a PC, how to replace toner and paper at the printers but not much more).
Thank you.

Re: Report files .fr3 stored in Database possible

Hello.

Sorry for delay.

Please download latest beta version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/anufoqnsh809x … a.zip?dl=0

Example:

procedure Form1_bPrintReport_OnClick (Sender: TObject; var Cancel: boolean);
var
    sReportFile: string;
    sReportName: string;
    sID: string;
begin
    sReportName := 'report1';

sID := SQLExecute('SELECT id FROM ReportFiles WHERE ReportName = ''' + sReportName+'''');
    if ValidInt(sID) then
    begin
        sReportFile := SaveFileFromDataBase ('ReportFiles', 'ReportFile', StrToInt(sID));
        Form1.bPrintReport.dbReportFile := sReportFile;
    end else
    begin
        ShowMessage('Can''t find report "' + sReportName +'" in the database');
        Cancel := True;
    end;
end;

Also you can download the example:

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Report file in database.zip 10.13 kb, 469 downloads since 2018-12-05 

Dmitry.

Hi,
Thank you for the example.
For editing/creating the report I need to check out the report, edit it and restore it back to the database, or can this done in other ways to?
Thank you.

Unfortunately there is no other way for editing/creating.

Dmitry.

Hi,
No Problem for me. Its an advantage for me. Makes it easier to explain the users, why a normal User can not edit or create a report and only Admins can to this.
Thank you.