Topic: Simplify patient data records

How to best record the Patient’s Chief Complaints, History, Spectacle Refraction, Investigations and Management? There may be multiple chief complaints/History/investigations/medicines. I have tried to save each entry separately in database AA_002_REC_Visits along with Patient Identifiers field. However, this is resulting in 20-30 entries for a single visit for an OPD ID. Generating prescription (report) containing the entries is becoming cumbersome. How to simplify the process?

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Patient_Records.7z 163.46 kb, 332 downloads since 2019-05-05 

Re: Simplify patient data records

It is pretty hard to give any advice without an insight on how your database is designed and how you plan to use it.

The best is maybe to think through and stop thinking in MS Excel mode:

- The data workflow (how things are supposed to work)

- What information is vital?
- How data are linked together?
- What information do you need? (What, when, where)
- Design your database in the simplest and most efficient way possible
- Use relationships instead of repeating the information again and again.

Is it the same database as the project you shared last time?

eyeman303,
You might consider using the Richtext memo field to store the complaints, etc.. That way it's all in one field and you can highlight/colorize important items in the richtext field.

Hello,
Thanks for your suggestions. The post refers to the same database project in an earlier post. I have removed the tabbed forms from the OPD Visit Record form (AA_Form_007_OPD_VISIT_REC) and created separate database tables and forms for recording Chief Complaints, Ocular History, Management etc. OPD_ID in form AA_Form_007_OPD_VISIT_REC
is unique and auto-generated for each OPD Visit of a patient, and Patient Particulars are auto-updated when a particular PID is chosen. These records are saved in database AA_002_REC_Visits when the save button is clicked.
I am confused about how to link all the findings saved in different tables, to a particular OPD_ID and generate a print-out (prescription) for an OPD_ID. Please guide me forward.
I have used RichEdit in Investigation recording forms ( like AA_022_REC_Management_Ocu_Invest_REPORT), but using drop-down list may be easier for recording Chief_Complaints, History etc. Can a .rtf file be created with drop-down options?
I have added a pdf file showing the work-flow.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Patient_Records_2.zip 629.87 kb, 364 downloads since 2019-05-09 

Your application is very similar to a CRM (customer relationship management) with which I am pretty familiar.

First, the master key is the patient ID, without it, you have only a confusion in relationships. Then this patient ID is linked to its personal medical records and after that the visit(s) are linked to the patient ID and all required information.

I am pretty sure there was a patient table, this one is going to be your master source. You have multiple unique patient coming to the office maybe multiple times. The patient is recorded once at first visit and then information is added to its "file", whenever he/she comes back or whoever during the visit handles the patient, so why are there name, middle name and first name in OPD_visit_record?

Regarding the summary form, I would rather use whether a grid or a report to display everything at once as this multitude of tiny tiny boxes is confusing at most, then there would be an option with other forms should you need to add more information. For the amount of information required, I wold design it as a wizard like an install wizard ( showing information, next, next, next...) and maybe I would add a dockable form to be able to return super quickly to wherever I need.

Creating reports is feasible, yet challenging, people here could help you with that.

Thank you.
PID is the primary identity of the patient. Now he will have multiple visits, each visit being identified by OPD_ID. All findings/investigations/medicines/advice needs to be linked with this OPD_ID, to record everything that happened in a visit. Should I abandon OPD_ID, and just use PID and  Date_of_Visit instead? Should I create a foreign key for PID for each table related to OPD visit records? Please clear this confusion.
Having Name fields in OPD_Visit_Record is not necessary, as the information is already there in the Patient Registration database, however, I wish to display the patient name somehow in the OPD_Visit_Record form, just to be sure that the information being saved are about the right patient. How can this be done?
Can a single table grid be created from multiple tables? Some tables will have 2-3 entries in a visit like those related to clinical features, medicines.

OK, so you have two main keys, the PID and OPD_ID, it becomes clearer how you want your app to work.

You should keep your OPD_ID so you know when and what happened at a point in time which is good, it is a main feature of your app. You should display the name of your patient by using foreign keys taping into patient table to avoid duplicates, do not forget the patient_ID as many people can share the same name.

Yes, you can create a grid with data from multiple tables, this is the purpose of a database, you just need to have the proper foreign key(s) to link the data smile Just switch tables in the dropdown during creation/edit of the grid or use sql queries.

Thanks again.
Can you suggest a script, such that when the PID is selected from the drop-down list, the Label4 Caption shows the patient's name comprising of First_Name +Middle_Name+Last_Name from the patient database table that stores PID? The caption will assure that the correct patient is selected for data entry.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Patient_Records_3.7z 60.45 kb, 396 downloads since 2019-05-11 

Hi Eyeman and TC,
Rather than using a script to show the patient's name (first, middle and last), why don't you concatenate those fields in the drop-down list itself (see screenshot1 in attachment epl2);  this has a number of benefits.
1.  no script
2.  you can search the drop down list not only by PID, but also by any part of the name so picking the correct patient in the first place is much easier.
3.  the patient and all the details selected in the drop down list stays visible.
Please see attached (epl2) a simplified example of what you might do (you can also search within the drop down list by date of birth and the number of outpatient visits made).
I also attach an alternative version (epl1) which is a much more traditional approach (starting with the patient, then drilling down into the outpatient visits record);  doing it this way, you are forced to maintain the link between the patient and the outpatient visit which I believe is a much better approach (and much simpler), but maybe there is a business reason why you need to 'de-link' patient and outpatient visit.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon epl.zip 897.75 kb, 482 downloads since 2019-05-11 

Hi Derek,
This is a brilliant approach (the concatenated fields in the drop-down), a real eye-opener. I would like to implement this method in my project. Thanks a ton, for the lesson.

Derek, you're the boss!

12 (edited by haciamirumbo 2021-08-15 11:29:33)

My goodness Derek, I do not know how do you know so much about MVD, the concatenation you added to the combo box field name was tongue ...............you have to be the uncle or cousin of Dmitry, and if not then you have to be the neighbor in the building across the street with a telescope looking his development room 24/7.......and the stadium says to Derek....." Gooooooooooooooooaaaallllllllllllll".  Derek, Derek, Derek.......... lol