Topic: Help with report grouping

Hello,

I have trouble with reports because I don't fully understand them.
I made many attempts and they are close, but I cannot get the desired results.
I wanted to reach out to anyone that understands how reports work before I give up on it.
I would appreciate any help with this.

Report specification:

Each state = [new page]

Business per State [1x per page]

Store(s) per Business [1x per business]

Contact(s) grouped together [All per store]

Report example:

State A                      [pg1]

.Business A.....................
    Store A

ContactA
      ContactB

Store B

<no contacts>

.Business B......................
    Store A

The attached shows: Before (actual) and After (desired)

Post's attachments

Attachment icon t1.105-report-markup.png 25.61 kb, 184 downloads since 2020-01-11 

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

Re: Help with report grouping

Hi Joshua,
Can you attach your project?
Derek.

Hi Derek,

Yes, and I guess it's only one file per post. I tried attaching a second image of the structure for the report, but the project will explain it even further.

Thanks

Post's attachments

Attachment icon T1.116_Dealers.zip 17.15 kb, 347 downloads since 2020-01-11 

4 (edited by derek 2020-01-11 20:26:25)

Hi,
I think the problem is the way you have defined the groupings for GroupHeader2 and GroupHeader3 (please see screenshot1 and screenshot2 in the attachment).
Also, in your original post, the 'desired' part of the screencapture shows John Balloon operating in Frederick MD.  However, looking at the data, that's not how it's currently held (just wanted to check I've not misunderstood something).
Regards,
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Dealers.zip 592.7 kb, 389 downloads since 2020-01-11 

Derek,

You are correct. That was an added (edited visual) to show more than 1 or 2 at a single store. Sorry about that confusion.

Thanks for the help on the group definitions. I wasn't able to stumble upon that combination, but that's what I was looking for.

After adding more data and spacing detail, I also had to check the "Reprint On New Page" GroupHeader option for the first two groups. Just in case anyone else needs a similar result.

I noticed that you switched the drawn line that stretched across the page to using underlined text. But there was also the shaded gray rectangle background for the stores. I was hoping to use those as alternating bands whenever there were a lot of stores listed below a business for visual cues.

Could you or maybe anyone else demonstrate conditional drawn objects using expressions or code? I have seen a similar technique done with TableGrids. Is that possible with reports?

You answered my main question. These are mostly visual formatting questions, and so I'm just exploring the possibilities. Using MVD, I'm attempting to recreate a report that resembles one that was generated in the past using another similar database solution. So, again I appreciate the reply.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon t1.105-report-derek-v2.png 46.65 kb, 211 downloads since 2020-01-12 

And here is the updated project.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Dealers-v2.zip 19.87 kb, 381 downloads since 2020-01-12 

7 (edited by derek 2020-01-12 18:09:46)

Hi Joshua,
If I remember, it looked like the drawn line was in a group header all on its own and I think I was trying to simplify things as part of looking at your original problem and forgot to put it back - it was almost 24 hours ago so my memory is pretty hazy - LOL!  I probably lost your shaded grey background on change of store at the same time but it's straightforward to put it back in (see attached - I was also messing around with the layouts trying to improve the visual cues).
I don't really use FastReport so I can't add much to the discussion about conditional drawn objects (except to presume it can be done - FastReport seems pretty flexible) - alternate line shading is probably the only 'conditional' thing I've used.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Dealers.zip 358.29 kb, 410 downloads since 2020-01-12 

Hi Derek,

Okay, that works.
Yea, I suppose printing is uncommon these days, so FastReport probably isn't used as much.
Thanks again for all the input.