Topic: Button, Form Icon

Hello MVD

Is there any sample of script or project of button with a customized icon attached to the database.

Also script of form icon.

Please help!

Thanks!

2 (edited by derek 2020-01-17 10:04:11)

Re: Button, Form Icon

Hi Manix,
One way is to use an image and associate it with a (hidden) button (please see attached).
Optionally, you can move the image slightly when you click down and click up so that it behaves like a button.
But I agree, it would be better if we could simply place a customised icon on a standard button.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon manixbutton.zip 362.07 kb, 341 downloads since 2020-01-17 

Wow This is nice derek. But all i wanted is inside of the buttons. please.

Yes, that's the problem.
It's not possible to overlay an icon (or any image) on top of a button - the button is always on top.
Derek.

I was also curious about customizing the icons available on the buttons. Not to be modified by a script or an overlay, but maybe a .dll file somewhere similar to how they're customized in Windows...

Any other options for this?

Post's attachments

Attachment icon T1.175-icons.png 80.83 kb, 142 downloads since 2020-01-17 

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

Hello Derek, Joshua,, Manixs2013

Until a solution similar to that of Windows (a DLL integrated in MVD), we can console ourselves with this piece of code :

var     ImageList: TImageList;

begin
                                                                          // On créée une nouvelle ImageList
  ImageList:=TImageList.Create(Form1);
  ImageList.Masked:=false;
  ImageList.ColorDepth:=cd32bit;             
  ImageList.Width := 16;                                        // Taille des images
  ImageList.Height := 16;

// Chargement des images
  ImageList.AddPng(ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'Icons\key.png');         // 0 - index if image
  ImageList.AddPng(ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'Icons\accept.png');   // 1
  ImageList.AddPng(ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'Icons\link.png');        // 2
  ImageList.AddPng(ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'Icons\window.png');  // 3

// Change ImageList for buttons
  Form1.Button1.Images := ImageList;
  Form1.Button2.Images := ImageList;
  Form1.Button3.Images := ImageList;
  Form1.Button4.Images := ImageList;
  Form1.Button5.Images := ImageList;
  Form1.Button6.Images := ImageList;

// Select images for buttons
  Form1.Button1.ImageIndex := 0;
  Form1.Button2.ImageIndex := 1;
  Form1.Button3.ImageIndex := 2;
  Form1.Button4.ImageIndex := 3;
  Form1.Button5.ImageIndex := 3;
  Form1.Button6.ImageIndex := 3;
end.

To place between BEGIN  and END.

JB

7 (edited by derek 2020-01-18 11:49:05)

Hi Jean, Joshua, Manixs,
If you want an image to appear as if it's inside a button, the only other way I could think of doing it is this (please see attached):
1.  Use a panel with a bevel size of 1 (so that it looks like a 'blank' button).
2.  Place an image inside the panel (the icon you want to display).
If you also want text associated with the icon, then
3.  Optionally, place a text object inside the panel (the text you want to display).
4.  Optionally, place a second label on top of the panel (NOT INSIDE the panel) and make this second label transparent.
Obviously, just an icon in the panel is pretty quick and straightforward, an icon plus text involves a couple of extra steps.
The script then simply moves the panel to mimic a button being pressed (and calls Form2).  Because the script moves the panel, the objects within the panel (the icon and optionally, the text) also move because they are subordinate to the panel.
But if you have a lot of buttons where you want to use your own icons then I think Jean's script is a much better solution.
Regards,
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon manixbutton.zip 390.12 kb, 326 downloads since 2020-01-18 

Thanks for sharing these methods folks- they are very clever alternatives.

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

Hi Guys,

Using Derek's solution with slight changes. Usually, that's what I use (workaround) when I want buttons with images (icon)

1. Changed bevel type to have different pressed effect by using 2 panels top each other
2. Added mouse over color to button when mouse moves over to the button label. It can be applied to whole panel (button) instead of just label.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon ImageButton Works.zip 47.43 kb, 361 downloads since 2020-01-19 

Adam
God... please help me become the person my dog thinks I am.