Topic: Parent ComboBoxes

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out the best way to approach this scenario. The first project is a working solution, but it uses manually typed data that is repeated. Because of this, I wanted to try using IDs instead, but I can't get it working.

I tried using a calculation field to lookup the abbreviation, but it was using a complex query. I'm not sure if my tables are joined correctly, or if I need another table, or...

Since this is a small, mostly static set of data, maybe the first approach is the best? Anyone else done something similar?

Note: the bottom TableGrid is for observation only, I require only the ComboBoxes

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

Re: Parent ComboBoxes

Hi Joshua,
Can you add the project?
Derek.

Why yes... that would be helpful.

I know I clicked the browse button, but I guess I forgot to click the add file button.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon boundary.zip 13.06 kb, 253 downloads since 2020-01-19 

Unfortunately I can't understand your question, please provide more details.

Dmitry.

5 (edited by derek 2020-01-21 16:49:58)

Hi Joshua,
No worries - we've all forgotten to add attachments at some point LOL!
I had a quick look at 'Boundary1' and 'Boundary2' and played around with a couple of things.
It's not quite as straightforward when you have the same table being used for two different purposes (to show the 'main' state and also referencing the 'neighboring' states) so I used a bit of code just to keep everything in line (and added a couple of (optional) cosmetic things).
The attached is what I came up with which, even if it's not quite what you're after, might give you some ideas.
FYI, I changed your 'neighboring' states data slightly as you had each state being a neighbour of itself - hope that's okay.
Regards,
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon borders3.zip 343.95 kb, 277 downloads since 2020-01-21 

Hi Derek and Dmitry,

Thanks for understanding about the missing attachment.

Using a table for "two different purposes" as you describe... This is an acceptable practice though, right? Aside from the working solution, this is one of the indirect questions I was asking.

The part about being "not quite as straightforward" is this because of MVD specifically? Because I have dealt with similar situations in other software that I've used, but it can cause some confusion in larger projects.

I appreciate the example and as always your helpful replies. This will certainly provide me with more ideas as I learn MVD.

This is only a piece of a larger project, and I didn't provide any extra details about it. So it would seem odd to have each state listed as a neighboring state, but there is a reason for that...

I imagine that (this reason above) is something that could be handled within MVD itself, but my inexperience doesn't allow me to take that approach yet...

The larger project is for fleet management (vehicles traveling between the states). Each trip has legs which can represent any stopping point (even within the same state). The main purpose (excuse me if this is obvious) is for these boundary ComboBoxes to limit AND reduce the states presented to the user.

Thank you again folks!