Topic: Deploying my Program

Hi all,

I have my project pretty much ready to go.
-
Thanks to help from folks on the forum, I've been able to use INNO Setup to create a package that will install my project on a users computer.
-
Now what I'm trying to do is to send the program to my user.
-
Here's what I've found so far:
1 - I can't send the .EXE file using an email program.  They don't seem to like EXE files
2 - If I Zip the EXE file that doesn't work either
3 - I tried setting up a download from my website.  But when the email program sees the EXE file, it doesn't let it go through.
-
I've purchased software from the web so I know it can be done.  I just can't figure out how to do it.
-
I've looked for software that will let me send out my program but I'm not seeing anything that I can afford.
-
Suggestions on how to do this will be appreciated.
-
Thanks, Frank

Re: Deploying my Program

You could always just change the file type extension by manually changing  somename.exe to somename.xyz  the spam and virus checkers may then ignore the file. Of course you'll need to send instructions telling the recipient to change the file extension back to exe.

Don't forget that email has a maximum file size of around 8 to 10MB for external emails and zipping actually increases the file size from the email system point of view.

On a clear disk you can seek forever

3 (edited by brian.zaballa 2020-09-16 04:32:58)

Use Dropbox, google drive or other cloud storage and store your installer. You can share stored files in it including executable.

brian

Or use some free sharing sites like mega.nz and send link

Thank you all for your suggestions..
-
I did look at Dropbox and it seemed a little complicated.  Granted I didn't spend too much time looking at it.
-
I took a look at Mega.nz and it looks pretty good so far.  I was able to do a test and everything worked fine.  So far I like it because it's pretty simple to use.  I'm going to check it out some more to learn all the features.
-
Thanks again everyone
Frank