Topic: Connect to MySql

Good morning.

I finaly succeeded to connect to a MySql server and I also have made a simple database

- Is it possible to translate the captions (Server (host), Port, User ..)  on the connection form? (see connect .jpg)
- Is it possible to use User/Role function when I use MySql ?

Post's attachments

Attachment icon connect.JPG 34 kb, 113 downloads since 2020-11-11 

2 (edited by brian.zaballa 2020-11-13 05:13:43)

Re: Connect to MySql

You might want to use the script to connect in your server. In that way you can use external file, a hidden label on a hidden form (which I'm using) to read the server details for additional security..
Check this: http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5366

brian

Hello Brian. Thanks very much for your answer and I will try to login to my mysql-server by script. But I donot understand your following instructions/advice: "In that way you can use external file, a hidden label on a hidden form (which I'm using) to read the server details for additional security" Can you please make a short example of 1) external file", 2) hidden label on hidden form etc.

Hello kees.krause, Hello Brian

As brian gave you a clue to connect to the server, to have a connection form translated into your language, you can create your own connection form translated into your language

JB

Hey Jean. Thanks for your contribution. In my opinion the login form for MySql is generated automaticly by MVD? How can I generate my own form to connect ot my server? Maybey it's a stupid question, but a small example would certainly help.

Hello kees.krause

Look at attachment

Is it OK for you ?

JB

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Connect.jpg 56.97 kb, 104 downloads since 2020-11-13 

If you use the script method, then you do not need a form to translate. Your users do not need to enter in the database connect info each time they start your program. I would recommend this approach.

Hello ehwagner

You're right. With a script for connection, no need to translate this form.

It all depends on how keese.krause will want to distribute its application.

JB

Hi Jean, For me the connectform is fine

Hallo Brian and Jean. Thans for your contributions, but it is a pitty  that my questions stay unanswered. I asked Brian for explaination about external file, hadden label and form and more security and I do not know how to use the form of Jean.

Hi Kees,

I think Brian means using a file similar to MVD's 'Settings.ini'.

To load a ini file use code similar to:

procedure loadSettings;
var
  settingsIni : TStringlist;
  lngth : integer;
begin
   settingsIni := TStringList.Create;
   settingsIni.LoadFromFile ('Settings.ini');
   dbName := SettingsIni[4];
   SettingsIni.free;
   lngth := Length(dbName) - 7;
   dbName := copy(dbName, 8, lngth);
   FrmMain.lbDbPath.Caption := ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+ dbName;
end;

That code is for loading the standard settings.ini file and finding the name of the database.

To save a file change LoadFromFile to SaveToFile .

On a clear disk you can seek forever