1 (edited by JurgenPeter 2020-12-01 21:19:20)

Topic: MariaDB Existing database(s)

It seems like MVD wants you to create new db's from scratch. It doesn't seem to allow you to connect to an existing db? I can get a connection and see the db's listed in the dropdown, but that's as far as I get. I'm using 10.1.21-MariaDB. Surely MVD must allow you to connect to existing data schemas - yes? Please advise.

And, yes, I've read several other MaraiDB posts on this forum some going back a couple of years.

Re: MariaDB Existing database(s)

You have to create at least the same tables in MVD to work with the existing database-tables. There is no direct import to MVD

Thank you for your response. That's a shame. There are dozens of programs out there. All of them allow you to connect to existing databases. I hope that MVD will add that functionality very soon. Until, then, sadly i won't be able to use it. Otherwise it seems like a great program.

4 (edited by ehwagner 2020-12-03 02:09:17)

JurgenPeter,
You can connect to your database and manipulate your data without defining it in MVD, but all your database updates will need to de done through script. MVD does a lot of standard data access and manipulation for you. Without the tables and fields defined you will be writing more script that MVD does automatically.

See attached for an example. No database is defined within MVD but access is still possible. Although the database I used is Sqlite, it is the same with Maria/MySql. None of the script would be necessary if the tables and fields were defined inside MVD.

In my opinion, a little bit of effort to define the tables and fields inside MVD will go a long way in developing your project quicker and easier. You only need to do this one time. It would be worth it if it were me. And you only need to define the tables that you want to use in your MVD project.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Test No DB Defined.zip 337.87 kb, 243 downloads since 2020-12-03 

Thank you ehwagner for the encouragement. I'll look at your test db tomorrow. Much appreciated.

6 (edited by JurgenPeter 2020-12-04 15:54:07)

ehwagner,

I checked out your sample last night. Interesting. If you define a table in MVD and then change the backend - add some fields, say. And you don't replicate that on the MVD side and you run it - what happens? Does it ignore it or blow up?

It will just ignore the new fields.

lupo1st wrote:

You have to create at least the same tables in MVD to work with the existing database-tables. There is no direct import to MVD

I tried that but before I get out of the gate, it says "Table'xyz' already exists" and it doesn't allow me to define it.