Topic: Lines & Boxes on Forms

Hi All,  Happy New Year !!

Can you put lines and boxes outlining controls on your forms?

If so how is it best done?

I have played with Panels & Group Boxes but not gotten the desired effects, I am looking to partition controls on a rather large form and was looking for some visual markers to logically divide up the form without resorting to making a series of forms if it could be avoided.

Re: Lines & Boxes on Forms

Hi Keith,
Happy New Year to you too.
For basic line drawings, would a panel with a width of 1 or 2 not do the job?
Not quite sure what other effects you're after. Do you have any example screenshots of how you want things to look?
Derek.

Hi Derek,

I tried a Panel and then put a Label within and then put a series of Underlines to make a Horz Divider but the Label disappeared on me and I could not get back to it.  That happened when I tried to shrink both the Label & the Panel, in any case.

I wanted to make both Horizontal & Vertical lines, I presume unless you can enter a hi-bit ALT-### character there are no corner pieces so you can make single line boxes around objects, either.

Have nothing to show at the moment....
Trying to figure out how I want this form I am working to look in the end.

Regards,
Keith

4 (edited by derek 2021-01-01 18:13:23)

Hi Keith,
Attached are some different approaches cobbled from various projects over the years!
Example 1:  using a group box to group a number of controls together.
Example 2: as above but using a bounce bar (move the mouse to the bottom of the form to activate it).
Example 3: again, using a bounce bar but putting a box around each control.
Even if you don't do much with boxes, the use of colours to group things together can be effective (provided it's not too much like a disco - LOL!).
There's a lot more you could do but for starters, maybe something in here can give you some ideas.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon keith.zip 1.12 mb, 284 downloads since 2021-01-01 

Derek,

Once again thanx for your educational reply & post !!

There are definitely things to be learned here... not sure how I want to proceed but some ideas are beginning to take form.
I see others have an interest too.

Regards,
Keith