Topic: MDV to be made open source as it is no longer updated

MDV to be made open source since it is no longer updated, who can recover the project?

Domebil

2 (edited by brian.zaballa 2022-05-14 05:45:18)

Re: MDV to be made open source as it is no longer updated

domebil wrote:

MDV to be made open source since it is no longer updated, who can recover the project?

Hi domebil,
I raised this same question for quite sometimes now.

As I work with Delphi(where MVD was made, just not sure to what version of it) for couple of months now, it has been clear to me that this will be quiet difficult (making MVD open-source) to attain. I believe that there are some paid components used to it. Fast-Report, the code editor, perhaps the map component are all paid components so for it to someone to edit/update MVD, they have to pay for all of it.

For me, as of now, I am hoping that our concerns will reach out Dmtry and if not him, maybe some of his colleague, teammates will continue on updating the project(MVD). I think that's our best hope for now.

I am continue learning Delphi for bigger projects to come. For now, our team was able to extend our application's functionality by creating sub-application on Delphi that will cater feature (like the google map component) that can't be done or is outdated in MVD

brian

Re: MDV to be made open source as it is no longer updated

Hello Domebil, Hello Brian

MVD was coded from the RAD XE3 version of Embarcadero.
It will be difficult to open source MVD, as Brian says, because of the third-party programs used: Fastreport for reports, Bergsoft for grids, Google API permissions for maps.
The ideal solution would be for Dmitri to return to support MVD, which he created.

JB