1 (edited by joshuA 2022-05-21 13:52:11)

Topic: [SOLVED] User Input On A Report

Hi folks,

I was wondering if it would be possible to send a field (in this case a memo) containing a one-time use per report- like for a custom header for instance.

I'm not sure how to send the field over to the report since it's not part of a table in the database.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
-joshuA

Post's attachments

Attachment icon 519-customize-reports-1.zip 343.37 kb, 190 downloads since 2022-05-19 

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

2 (edited by sparrow 2022-05-19 20:38:44)

Re: [SOLVED] User Input On A Report

Hi JoshuA,

You can transfer almost everything to the report.
It is better to do it from a script.
You can create the same SQL query and add a set of variables to it where
there will be any of your fields with text for use in the report.
Here is an example of variables: http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4110
You can also search the forum for examples.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon customize-rep-ex.zip 352.29 kb, 210 downloads since 2022-05-19 

Hi Josh, Hi Sparrow,
You can also do it using the standard 'report' action rather than 'report(SQL)'
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon customize-reports2.zip 356 kb, 242 downloads since 2022-05-20 

hi sparrow, hi derek,

Thank you both as always!  And I learned from both of your examples...

sparrow:
Thanks for the link and the example.  I usually do search the forums first, but I wasn't sure what to search for in this case.  For some reason "report variables" didn't come to mind. hmm  My apologies for that tho.

derek:
Nice, I always like your approach of doing things from MVD.  I have been trying to design my projects this way too.

In my working project, I have too many things controlling the tablegrid output, and I couldn't get the simple Report to work correctly.  I'm going see if I can figure out why that is, so I may have further questions about that big_smile

another question:
When declaring that report variable, what are all of those single quotes doing?

frmMain.frxReport.Variables['FromMemo'] := ''''+s+'''';

Why are they necessary, aside from breaking the script lol

-joshuA

So there are four ' single quote characters.
The two outer quotes are obvious- they enclose the two other quote characters.
Theses inner two are ones in question.  Is the first inner one like an escape character for the second inner one?
Thanks

Well- for anyone else interested in the answer to my last question, I was able to find a detailed explanation for it.

And it is, as I was expecting- a form of escaping characters.  But I wanted to share what I found...

While this is noted in the FastReport PDF manual on page 87, it doesn't go into any details about why... which is what I was curious about.

The online manual has a page about modifying variable values.  And I'll paste the content below:

It should be noted, that when accessing a report variable its value is calculated if it is of string type. That means the variable whose value is 'Table1.“Field1”' will return a value of a DB field and not the 'Table1."Field1"' string. You should be careful when assigning a string-type value to a report variable. For example, this code will raise the exception “unknown variable 'test'” when running a report:

frxReport1.Variables['My Variable'] := 'test';

because FastReport is trying to calculate a value for variable 'test'. The right way to pass a string value is:

frxReport1.Variables['My Variable'] := '''' + 'test' + '''';

In this case the variable value, string 'test', will be shown without errors. But keep in mind that:

• a string should not contain single quotes : all single quotes must be doubled;

• a string should not contain #13 or #10 symbols.

In some cases it is easier to pass variables using a script.

-joshuA