Topic: Format a Calculated Field

Hi All,
I'm trying to SORT a tblGrid using a Calculated Field.  But it's not working.  Here's what I have:
OPTION 1
calcNextSvcDate =
strftime('%m/%d/%Y',date(julianday((select max(SvcDate) from tbl_Service   
where tbl_Service.id_tbl_Equip = tbl_Equip.id)) + (select SvcInterval
from tbl_Svc_Interval where tbl_Equip.id_tbl_Svc_Interval = tbl_Svc_Interval.id)))

OPTION 2
calcYMDnextSvcDate =
strftime('%Y/%m/%d',date(julianday((select max(SvcDate) from tbl_Service
from tbl_Svc_Interval where tbl_Equip.id_tbl_Svc_Interval = tbl_Svc_Interval.id))) 

When I use calcNextSvcDate the tblGrid does not sort by this column.
When I use calcYMDnextSvcDate it is working OK.
So that's good news for the SORTING issue.  However my problem is that the dates in the cells for option 2 are showing as Y m d and since I'm in the US, I would like it to show m d Y
First, is there any way to format the data in the cells in OPTION 2 ?
Second, is maybe my approach to the SORTING issue maybe not the correct way to do it ?
Thanks
Frank

Re: Format a Calculated Field

Hi Frank,

Modify the second calculated field :

date(julianday((select max(SvcDate) from tbl_Service
from tbl_Svc_Interval where tbl_Equip.id_tbl_Svc_Interval = tbl_Svc_Interval.id))

Place both fields in the table.
Do sorting by 2 fields but make it invisible in the script.
Display 1 field.
Or ...
Could you attach a project to understand the details of the problem and other solutions?

Use calculated fields with care - piling them up can be detrimental to performance. To select data with complex processing, it is better to use one SQL query, written and optimized manually.

Визуальное программирование: блог и телеграм-канал.

4 (edited by sparrow 2022-08-16 12:26:03)

Suggested solution based on limited information received.
That's why I suggested showing the project.
Of course, it is better to store a ready date for the next service than to calculate each time.
Date and time is a very delicate thing in both calculation and display and sorting.
But each project has its own owner. )))

Sparrow, k245
Thank you for the suggestions.  You've given me some things to think about.
I like Sparrows idea of storing the NEXT SVC DATE in a field instead of using a Calculated field.  Calculated fields are nice but there seems to be some restrictions when I want to use the info in that field to do something because it's not really saved data.
I'll have to change some stuff to see if I can make it work but it could be worth it.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Frank

Sparrow,
Do you know how I can save the results of OPTION 2 into a Text field.  I need that result to calculate when the next Service Due Date is? 
The calculation works but I only seem to be able to save the result in a calculated field.  I'm thinking if I had the result in a Text field then I could use it going forward.
Maybe this is not the best solution?
Thanks
Frank

Bonjour a tous
J'ai besoin de votre aide
j'ai une base que gère les devis avec un compteur et sont propre numéro de document.
je voulais a partir du devis établir une facture avec sont propre numéro de document.

On peux le faire avec MVDB

Merci de votre aide

Niko

Hi all,

You are a little confused.
A calculated field is not a table field. This is part of the SQL query, the so-called subquery. It's impossible to save it.
Here is an example of how this can be done in the program, if I understand you correctly. Option 2 in the example is recommended.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon svc.zip 334.81 kb, 176 downloads since 2022-08-17 

9 (edited by papafrankc 2022-08-20 02:31:11)

Sparrow,
I've been going over your example program (svc.zip) and it looks really good.
I've been wanting to save the results of a calculation into a field before and your solution shows me how to do it.
I believe using this approach will simplify things for me considerably.
While trying to implement it into my program I'm realizing I believe I have some design flaws in my program.
So it's going to take some work to make the necessary changes.
*** When I first posted this Reply I referred to add2 as a function or procedure.  Sorry I didn't realize that add2 is the name of the form.  I had a senior moment.
I will let you know if I have any problems.
(I have a tendency to get myself out into the weeds from time to time so I'm sure I'll be back)
Thanks so much for another valuable lesson.
Frank