1 (edited by The Engineer 2015-01-18 16:32:27)

Topic: Printable Reports in Databases

I know that you can use FastReport on the compiled version of your database and is the easy option of designing databases. But to me when creating a Database Application it's much better offering the option to use ready made internal printable reports so what they see is what they get.

Can FastReport be used in design mode?

The only other way I can think of printing easier is by saving everything to a PDF file or doc, txt formats.

Can you think of any other easy ways for people to print out data in reports or queries in a stylish design.

Re: Printable Reports in Databases

You can not designing a database using FastReport.
I'm afraid I can not understand your question.

You can call the report designer from menu: Options > Report Designer

Dmitry.

I did not say that you can use FastReports to create a database, I'm not stupid.

Can FastReports be used in MyVisual Database?

Rather than after you have RUN the database exe.

or

is there any other way of printing data from the database by save information to a file?

The easiest way.

Suggestion...

To make My Visual Database stand out from the rest of the market, you need unique characters or unique ways to make programming simple to none programmers.

Example: take a look at Serif WebPlus you can create a complete website without programming knowledge.

So this is what you need to accomplish a database that anyone can use without programming.

In current version you can't use FastReports from My Visual Database (only from Project.exe)

For printing data from the database you can use another tools, example open "sqlite.db" in MS Access, using ODBC driver for SQLite
http://www.patthoyts.tk/sqlite3odbc.html
http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

Dmitry.

OK

Thanks I will have a Look, but I am not a Programmer and I may not understand it.

Not made any head ways to introduce printing, can't work out what you gave me!

The Engineer

I think I have understood your request, you may want to print a report with existing and selected data from myvisualdatabase project, am I right?

The only way I know until now is to design a report which runs a SQL query, save this report in the "report" folder and link you "Print" button to this specific report, Then you may be able to print it.

So, yes, you can design reports on your own smile

Post's attachments

Attachment icon print-report-mvdb.jpg 107.01 kb, 378 downloads since 2015-01-27 

tcoton

You could be close to being right I suppose.
I need my databases to have ready made printable reports, but list them in a combo box for easy access.
And maybe to create a database report generator so that user can create a report save to combo box to print out time and time again.

So yes you could be right.

tcoton

I don't want to use the FastReport, it must be made or generated by My Visual Database internally.

I see what you mean, using FastReport to design report is kind of a chore...

Anyway reporting is the biggest piece of cake of a database tool, I totally agree, it should be ready made!
That might be a challenge to implement that is MVDB, maybe using object properties which would design the report by itself... I am dreaming big_smile

Other database manufacturers already implement a report generator and print facility within their software.
but you can only suggest these methods to Drive Soft and hope they listen.

The Engineer
Thank you for the suggestion )

Dmitry.

Another Suggestion

When you run the database and it is compiled this is good, But...

When you run the database out of MyVisual Database (Stand Alone) you get a Tabbed menu that should really be accessible before Running the program inside MyVisual Database. in other words 'Editable'.

This would make database design more windows friendly by using the Tabbed menu as your own Database.

Another suggestion ...

When designing a database within MyVisual Database it would be good to be able to make your pages the same as screen size and work at that level.

Unless you can do already, I don't know.

Going back to printing a report.

when creating a report in my visual database can these be called up in a combo box in my database design and then chose a report for printing.
If so how is it done.