Topic: SQL with join tables

Hello Dmitry

I made an application to manage my comics (MVD 1.52 v5)

On Form1 (main form), I have a grid listing all comics and on the same Form1, I have a panel
giving details for un record in the grid.

I have a main table (Comics) and many others (dictionnaires) (i.e. King of comics)

I would like to use a SQL query whose result displays informations retrieved from other tables linked with table Comics :

I've tried something like this

s := SQLExecute('SELECT Kind.kind from Comics WHERE id=' + IntToStr(Form1.TableGrid1.dbItemID) );
Form1.Label24.Caption := s;

There is no error message, but there is no information displayed for field Kind.

I think I should use instruction JOIN in my request. I've looked for this on Net but there is many cases
which are not well explained.

I traveled the entire forum (even russian forum), but all the cases submitted are simple SQL, of the ones I used to use for simple queries

Please, do you have any information about this SQL very complex (or any MVD users) ?

Thanks for your help

JB

Re: SQL with join tables

There is a very interesting solution in this topic: http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewt … p?id=1484. Reply 13
You would not have to use any SQL query at all

Otherwise a join is done using a relationship field in the tables

For example

Author                                   Origin                                            Title
id                                           id                                                   id
Name                                    Country                                         Title
Title                                       id_Name                                       Year
                                                                                                   id_Name
                                                                                                   id_Country

Select Title, Country, Name

from Title,
Author a,
Origin o
where
id_Name=a.id
and id_Country=o.id
and Title=something

But honestly, the solution from derek is the simpliest one

Hi Jean, Tcoton, Dmitry, Everyone!

I am not sure if i understand your problem 100% (i don't even understand my OWN problems 100%!!) but it may be that you need to specify the joins to the other tables as 'left outer' in your SQL query.

I have attached a copy of a project i did which has an example of this - please see the SQL query for Button 4 on Form1.  And if you need it, the administrator password in the project is uppercase 'MVD' !

Hopefully, this might help you a bit.

Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon requisitions jb.zip 483.86 kb, 854 downloads since 2015-06-06 

Hellon TCoton, Derek, Dmitry

Thanks for your help.
Next week I'll consider your answers

Thanks again

JB

Hello Derek

I could not help but test your proposal before before taking a week's vacation.
Well, it fits well.
Your solution was the solution.
I thought that I had to use left outer join in the query but I lost myself in the identification syntax
by associating all the different tables id.

Thanks again for your help

JB

Hi Jean,
Glad it helped.
Now you can go on holiday and not be thinking about it!
Derek.