Topic: Some questions from a new user...

I found out about My VD 2-3 days ago... I did some tests and watched the videos... I must say that I have almost no database development experience, and I am really happy to be able to create EXE files...
I have been using another app which is also great and easy but I can't make exe files and I don't want to install the software to the computer at work... I find database apps to be a great help when I need to keep data and be able to make reports of exactly what I need...
So, congrats and keep the good work...

Some questions...

1. When I need to search for a string, is there a way to use wildcards ? This is important sometimes...

2. When I import a tablegrid, and fill the cells using a search button, I can't use the "Show record" in the right click menu unless I make a button and through that button I add the form that will show the record... Is that correct? there is no way to avoid this button?

3. If I use "Find" in a tablegrid, then, if I have many records I need to scroll up or down and check if there is the string I want to find, because the tablegrid doesn't go the cell with the found string automatically... I hope you understand what I want to say... If, for example I have a form showing 5 rows and the string I want to find is in row 30 then when I use "Find" with the right-click menu, the tablegrid should go to the row 30...

4. How can I get the "SUM" from a tablegrid and use it? (Maybe to assign it's value to a field or use it in the report etc...)

Well, there will be more things that I need to ask but I think these are ok for now... I will start designing the tables and the forms for my project.
Thank you again for this nice program!

Re: Some questions from a new user...

Hello,

Yes, you can use symbols % and _
Also you can set property of TextBox.Filter = %s%

2. Small bug, i should hide this item without button for Show Record, thanks.

3. Thank you, fixed.

4. What do you mean? Create footer in grid with Sum? or get sum value from footer grid by using script?

Dmitry.

OK, then no1 is solved and works great...
No2... I don't understand, why you want to hide this from the rightclick menu, I would very much prefer to have it automatically work with doubleckick or rightclick and choose the "Show Record" instead of moving mouse over the button and use the button instead... So, what if you add this in settings of the tablegrid?

No3... Thanks!

No4... Actually, I know nothing about SQL and scripts... So, Do I have to start reading? What would be the correct way to assign the sum of a tablegrid column to a field or a variable and update it automatically?

I mean... If the numbers in the record are items that a client ordered... and this client makes many orders... Each order has a "SUM" value of the items and of course I would like to know how much money this client has spent for all of his orders.... So, I can have the sum of each order assigned to a value and I can add these values to a field of the parent record that connects the client with the orders...
I hope this makes sense... smile

2. it automatically work with doubleclick or rightclick and choose the "Show Record" if you have button with action "Show Record"
I think it is logical to have a button for editing.

4.  You can make footer in tablegrid, please see images for details:
http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/myfil … search.png
http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/myfil … r_grid.png

also you can download project with footer grid:
http://myvisualdatabase.com/database_ex … nvoice.zip

you should not keep the sum of purchases in database, it is not correct, it should always be calculated.

Dmitry.