1 (edited by g0dmenuelz 2019-05-04 06:13:30)

Topic: How to improve my project? Need advice and inputs.

Hi guys and experts in MVD.

Can you please provide inputs and constructive feedback for my paper routing.

This is just a simple file tracking project. I already got the forms and also the workflow.

I think It is missing a countdown/ timer cause a document should only have 5 days otherwise it should turn red or flash.

I am looking at the countdown project by AD1408, Derek and ehwagner

http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewt … 01&p=2

What other things do you guys think the project really need?

Thanks again. smile

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Paper routing.rar 927.53 kb, 292 downloads since 2019-05-04 

Re: How to improve my project? Need advice and inputs.

Here is the workflow.

Replace the manager with  hrdschief.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon flowchart.png 312.45 kb, 151 downloads since 2019-05-03 

I had to develop an app 3 years ago to track maintenances on computer and I had to implement the same kind of tracking as you are looking for with some twists.

- You will have to have a status table to keep tracks of them ( Draft, Finalized, For initial, Signed, Filed, Archived?) and each of this status must have a non modifiable date automatically recorded with no action from user. (like a trigger)

- Each date must be read only once they have been set whatever the level of admin if you want to keep consistency, otherwise, people will trick the system.

- Once a status has been set, it should become read only so there is no cheating possible either. Some status should also become available only when pre-requisite have been met such as not possible to sign before draft, then finalized, then for initial have been done.

- You might set a document status to "Draft" automatically when submitted for the 1st time.

- I do not get the point for other employees to see what the other are doing, you should disable some buttons depending on the user. Only supervisors should see others tasks.

- The receiving button should be separate from the group of users, it is confusing. I had to look at the flowchart to get how to use the app and add a task.

User interface tweaks:

- Office/ Division section should be in a separate table and use a dropdown for ease of use/administration.
- From should also use a dropdown
- Date received should get automatically the "today" value and not being editable.

Now to calculate date countdown, I used scripts and sql queries with a variable table named parameters like so:

select
  column1, column2,
  round(julianday('now')) -round(julianday(return_date)) as 'Days Count'
from table5 a
  where a.id_Status=xyz
and Return_date in
  (SELECT return_date FROM table5
  WHERE (julianday('now') - julianday(return_date))
  between 0 and (select quarantine_days_variable from parameters) )

This query was searching physical information about computers, count the number of days since it was returned to IT for restaging and check if the computer is still in quarantine or not according to the parameter set. If the computers where returned long enough to IT, they where displayed in another grid, ready to be restaged.

It is very easy to implement but you will have to first take care of the dates management.
Depending on your skills, you could use triggers to manage the dates automatically, I had to do it for GAMP 5 compliance. Triggers are managed directly within Sqlite using SqliteStudio.

Hi tcoton.
Thank you for your valuable input.  I would just like to ask, did you use mvd for your tracking app? if so can I take a look at it? (g0dmenuelz@yahoo.com).  I am very new to scripting and the triggers are beyond me but I'd really love to learn and implement it here and get this project working.

Essentially there are 2 main issues that is very hard for me, the status with its date and the countdown. Please bear with me.

When you mentioned having another table for tracking the status ( Draft, Finalized, For initial, Signed, Filed, Archived) do I need to have 2 save buttons as well on each form? (1 for each table).

Do you have a script from your previous projects where the status or something similar automatically creates a date (trigger)?

I think once we have a solution for this I can then proceed to the countdown issue.

Hopefully the other experts here will also provide some valuable feedback.

Thanks again. smile

Hi,
Like Thierry, I too had a project from a couple of years back that was a bit similar.
So I've changed a couple of the forms and made the data more compatible with your requirement (please see attachment).
It won't be exactly what you need but I think there are examples of how to do similar things so you can apply them to your specific situation.
There is no log-in security, but you could just bolt on the forms from your existing project.
On this project, I didn't colour code the grid - rather I have a column that show the number of days that a document has been on the system and you can sort or filter on that instead.  Or you could do both!
Also, it uses what I call (probably incorrectly!) 'hot-spots' where you click on specific cells to make calls specific to the value in that cell.  So to view a specific document, click in the actual cell where the document location is held.  Or to view a document's history, click on an actual cell in the 'Current Status' column etc etc (people I knock stuff up for like the 'interactive grid' approach!).
Hope this gives you some more ideas,
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon docuflow.zip 1.88 mb, 377 downloads since 2019-05-04 

I can't thank you enough  Derek.

It is very impressive and the workflow is very efficient as well.