Topic: Question about master detail records

Hi, I was looking through the example databases for one that implements master detail style records. How can you do this without using scripts.

Scenario: I have a number of records that have several fields, and I want to arrange them into collections such that a given collection consists of some information unique to the collection and then it will contain one or more of the item records. Each item record should be viewable separately outside of the collection, but may be part of one of more collections.

In the phone example, adding a new detail record is possible, but there is no examples anywhere of linking to a pre-existing record, you only seem to be able to add new ones.

Traditionally, I guess what i need is a many to many relationship using a join table, but I dont see how to implement this without writing script code.

Re: Question about master detail records

Hello,

I made for you project example (Authors and Books)  many-to-many:

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Books and Authors (many-to-many).zip 5.59 kb, 1036 downloads since 2014-11-18 

Dmitry.

Hi, I haven't looked at your example project, but just looking at this from a logical standpoint, I would have thought that Authors-Books relationship would be 1-many not many-many (i.e. each author can write many books, but each book can only have been written by 1 author).

Dennis

mr_d
not quite, sometime one book have more thah one author.

Dmitry.

Thank you.

The example is very helpful.

When I try to create this myself, something isn't working.

I have three tables

owner table (ownername TEXT)
vehicle table (vehiclename TEXT )
vehicleowner table - with relationships to each of the above

by creating the forms

frmVehicle, frmOwner, frmPickVehicle, frmPickOwner etc exactly as in the example...

I can see that when you pick a vehicle, the vehicle ID is put in the join table, but not the ownerID it corresponds to... and vice versa.

What have I missed?

asayami_design
Please, send me your project to support@drive-software.com
I'll try to help you.

Dmitry.

I sent you fixed project.

Dmitry.