Topic: About good practice....

Hello Dmitry and all other MVD fans,

I have to admit I am a bit confused. I've read so many things, tested so many functions and worked so much with MVD (which is a greeeeat tool), that I believe I'm begining to find my way decently around Delphi.

But... (of course, there is a but)

The application I'm building is huge. I've reached 1200 lines of code, and some procedures handle more than a 100 variables. And everything is working pretty much smoothly.

The question I'd like to ask today is this :

I'm handling a laaaaarge quantity of text, contained into a string, that I got like this :

source := HTTPGet(some URL);

This "source", is then assigned to various variables (name_source, url_source, sku_source...), because this way, I only call the HTTPGet function once and therefore it's faster (and I don't risk getting banned from the site I visit for server hamering).

I have to use all those variables containing the SAME text because, in order to find the info I need (based on HTML tags), I perform a lot of delete and copy operation to finally reach the text I want between specific tags.

To be precise, I use the same source text 9 times, because I'm looking for 9 different info on the same page, but the page is beeing destroyed each time I copy / delete part of it.

If you add to this all the if, else if , else I've added to the code in case there are (for example) not 1, not 2 but URL I want to grab... or even 0 in which case I have to handle the empty returned string before database saving...

Oooh, this works... but is it the right way to do it ?

I mean, keeping so many variables in memory... declaring in advance so many variables (you have to declare them up to the maximum elements you might encounter right ?)...

Questions :

About memory : after declaring 100 variables and assigning values to them, do I have to free memory, or destroy the variables, or do they die at the end of the procedure, or on closing of the form (after database injection) ?

About text handling : Is there a HTMLParser integrated to MVD, or do you plan to integrate one ? Wouldn't that be easier to walk the DOM and get directly to TAG ?

About SQLExecute : God, I do that so many times in my code... Do I have to close the SQL connexuion somewhere or the Form closing does it ?

About the large amount of text I'm handling through variables : Is it the right method ? Sould I assign that to a TStringList, or a TMemoryStream. I read about Dictionaries and the advantage of refereing to all my variables with only one name and indexes. Can I do the same thing with TStringList or TMemoryStream ?

I know that's a lot of questions, and I know you have other posts to answer, I apologize for that smile

I wish you all a good day

Cheers

Mathias

I'm a very good housekeeper !
Each time I get a divorce, I keep the house

Zaza Gabor

Re: About good practice....

About memory
All local variables of procedure will free automatically at the end of the procedure.

About text handling
I will integrate some text parser in the future.

About SQLExecute
No.

About the large amount of text
It's ok. You can check, how to memory used by application using Task manager.

Dmitry.

Re: About good practice....

Hello Dmitry,

Thank you for your precisions, I'm glad not to have to worry about freeing memory and destroying variables after using them.

Can't wait for the text parser to make it's way into MVD smile

Have a good day

Cheers

Mathias

I'm a very good housekeeper !
Each time I get a divorce, I keep the house

Zaza Gabor