Topic: Problem with groupbox

Hi,

everybody. I just started to use mvd so i am level "rookie". Maybe i am doing something wrong, but:

a) when placing a groupbox onto a form and after that placing a label inside of that groupbox, everything is fine.
b) when placing a label outside of the groupbox and try to move it inside the groupbox this does not work. the label always disappears behind the groupbox. Even "send to back" or "bring to front" has no affect. Only solution is to delete the label and place a new one directly inside the groupbox.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Best regards.

Michael

Re: Problem with groupbox

I think the purpose of the GroupBox is to keep several objects linked together during the design so you can move them altogether, hence anything placed outside a groupbox is considered as "Free/Wild"

Hi Michael, Hi Thierry,
It's as tcoton says - groupbox is basically a cosmetic thing but it does enable you to put things inside a groupbox and move them all together (otherwise you have to use ALT+SHIFT+CLICK to move multiple objects at once).
But it's useful if you want to make certain parts of your form visible / invisible - you only have to set the visible property of the groupbox and everything inside that group box also becomes visible/invisible rather than doing it for each object.  And if you're writing a script to make something visible depending on a certain condition, you only need to script it for the groupbox which can save even more time.
Bringing to the front/sending to the back works WITHIN the groupbox (ie put one object on top of another and you can send to the back / bring to the front).  This is also true on the basic form - it's just not applicable to two objects, one of which is placed inside the groupbox and the other outside of the groupbox.
However, if there is an object that originally was outside the groupbox that you now want to place inside the groupbox, you don't need to delete it and create a new one;  you can just use cut and paste.
A 'panel' object also works in exactly the same way as a groupbox.
Hope that helps,
Derek.

It's architecture limits of Windows components.

There is two types of components:
- Graphic (Label, Image)
- Window (Button, GroupBox, Panel, ComboBox and etc.)

A graphic component can't placed over window component but can placed inside window component, because windows components like Panel and GroupBox can be like container for all types of components.

Dmitry.

I totally agree with what you guys wrote. Thanks for the information.

I just wondered why one can not move a textbox or a label from outside the groupbox into it.

The tip with cut and paste instead of deleting the object is really appreciated. Thank you derek.

Best regards

Michael