Topic: Some hints and tips

Nice software.
I have been working and struggling with my data, and I think I have some hints and tips for users.

1) Warning:  do not change the tablename after running a project. This action will delete existing data. You can only change tablenames before running a project.

2) After modifying a table (addding field or renaming field) save your project (save as) in a new empty directory.

3) To import existing data form Acces, there are also some other options than exporting your data to csv. (csv can give easily problems with decimal and comma characters).

a)  In Acces you can export the data as dbf files (Dbase3). This format can also be imported with Sqlitestudio.

b)  In Acces you can install an ODBC-SQL driver. Than you can link the sqlite tables in Access and update the data with updatequeries.
This is sligthly more complicated, but gives you maximum flexibility for data manipulation.

Re: Some hints and tips

Thank you for tips.

2. Why?

Dmitry.

2) Additional info:
When a fieldname is changed after a project is run, and you run the project again, you get an error :
"No such column tablename.OLDfieldname".
However the database opens, but gives same error when opening a form with this OLDfieldname.
(I run version 1.41 with WIN7 Home 64bit)
Maybe I did something wrong ?

When fieldname is changed, you should answer "Yes", when the dialog asks you to recreate the database.
Also you should change settings of controls where you used OLDfieldname (TextBox, TableGrid, Buttons) for replace or delete link to old field.

Dmitry.

OK I understrand that control setting must be changed manually, in case of renaming fields.

It took some time for me to figure it out.
When I added a new table to an existing datase, I answered "Yes" when the dialog asks  to recreate the database.
However all the data in all existing tables were deleted.
(The new created table was not yet containing any data at this time.)

Yes, when changing the structure of the database, all data is deleted. Maybe I can solve it in future versions.

Now, you can to change structure of database without lost data, if you create/rename new field or table using tool SQLite Studio, then make a change in the structure of database in MVD, and answered "No" when the dialog asks to recreate the database.

Dmitry.