Topic: Copy form objects

Hi,

I have a project that has a form with over 70 objects (texboxes, memos, buttons and labels) and I need to reproduce the same layout on other forms. Is it possible to copy all objects at once and paste it to the new form. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

2 (edited by derek 2017-09-11 11:46:02)

Re: Copy form objects

Hi Terry,
Yes, that's not a problem.  The only thing you can't copy is the form itself so what I find easiest is
1.  create a new form with the same dimensions as the form you want to copy from
2.  on the source form, hold the shift key and then click on all the objects you want, then right-click and choose copy
3.  on the target form, right-click and choose paste
4.  at this point, all objects are still 'selected' so you can move them all together so they are placed precisely where you want them.
Sometimes I find one or two objects have 'moved' or get placed behind other objects so you might need to do a bit of fine-tuning.
It's important to remember that it is not just the source object that gets copied, but all of the properties associated with the source object (definitions, colour settings, tab index, visibility etc etc).
I find it useful in these situations to create a form and immediately place a panel on the form that is the same size as the form.  Place all your objects as you need them on the panel.  Then, if you need to create a copy of the form, all you need to do is right-click on the panel and the panel AND ALL OF THE OBJECTS on the panel are automatically included - one click to copy everything!  It's a big time saver. 
Please see attached which just demo's the above points.
Regards,
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon terrycopy.zip 343.42 kb, 407 downloads since 2017-09-11 

Terry wrote:

Hi,

I have a project that has a form with over 70 objects (texboxes, memos, buttons and labels) and I need to reproduce the same layout on other forms. Is it possible to copy all objects at once and paste it to the new form. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

Hello.

Please download latest version 3.6, now you can press Ctrl+A to select all components on form and paste in to the new form.
http://myvisualdatabase.com/download/myvisualdb.exe

Dmitry.

Derek and Dmitry
Thank you for the help
Terry