Topic: Is Record ID a String in a table

Hello,
The following works to change a table field without opening the record in a window.
SQLExecute('UPDATE Staff SET Location = "Away" where id =' +inttostr(form1.tablegrid1.dbItemID));
The above shows that the record ID in a table is a string, not an integer.
Selecting an individual record for printout in a report looks like the statement below.
WHERE employees.id = $id;
Why is a single record id written in different ways whether it is in a table or a report?
Is there some sort of rule to apply to know when to use the different ways of doing this?
Dumb question in know but I have to ask.
Thanks,
David

Re: Is Record ID a String in a table

David,
Id's are integers. dbitemid references the id in a tablegrid and is an integer. SqlExecute needs a string for the SQL statement. That's why the dbitemId needs to be converted to string  with the inttostr() function inside the SqlExecute statement.

SQLExecute('UPDATE Staff SET Location = "Away" where id =' +inttostr(form1.tablegrid1.dbItemID));

SqlValue can also be used in place of dbitemId. It is already converted to a string and no need to use inttostr() function:

SQLExecute('UPDATE Staff SET Location = "Away" where id =' +form1.tablegrid1.sqlvalue)

;

Hope this helps.

Hello ehwagner,
thank you for your help to understand this.
Regards,
David

I never ever had to convert the id into string in my SQL queries and it always works!

tcoton,
Not sure how that is possible. If you remove the inttostr() on the dbitemid from David's example above, you will get an "Incompatible Types" error.