Topic: Is there a way to use an existing MySQL database?

Currently I want to work with a mysql database that already contains data, I want to use MVD to make a small program that generates a report, however, I can not make MVD recognize the tables that already exist.

Re: Is there a way to use an existing MySQL database?

rodmontgt wrote:

Currently I want to work with a mysql database that already contains data, I want to use MVD to make a small program that generates a report, however, I can not make MVD recognize the tables that already exist.

Hi rodmontgt,

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but I found this searching on the forum, hope this points you in the right direction:
http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4404

cheers!

Yes, it's right link

MVD is not support working with exists database but actually you can do it.

First, there is two rules for exists database to be compatible with MVD.
1. Every database table must have primary key "id"
2. Foreign keys must have names like "id_tablename"

if your database meets these requirements, you can start to create your project using SQLite database, to create tables and fields like in your exists MySQL database. You do not have to create all tables and fields, just only those that will be used in your project.

After that you can just switch your project to MySQL DBMS and connect to exists database.

Dmitry.

Ok thanks I saw the link, thanks, sadly my DB is not compatible since de PK are named different and FK also,
Is this feature planned?
Currently I'm programmer for a big web project (EHR system) and was thinking to use MVD to do the desktop application, again my db is not compatible since my PK are named different
MVD is a great piece of software but it lacks some features out of the box:
- Ability to recognize existent MySQL or SQLite databases (created outside of MVD)
- Ability to create menus (I already saw solutions that include modifying scripts), it would great to have a menu editor
- Ability to create toolbars
- Ability to create MDI applications rather than just SDI apps
- Ability to set a different charset other than the default utf8 since this is a partial implementation of UTF8, the correct one is the utf8mb4 with the best collation utf8_unicode_ci (utf8_general_ci produces odd sorting)
Again MVD have great potential and if this features are planned I think it would be a complete system maybe a RAD

I have been playing with tables.ini file that is generated with mvd, it could be great if you could read an existent db schema a generate  tables.ini