1 (edited by lostdb 2019-01-25 09:29:23)

Topic: A Mega Application as sample for all Scipt functions.

Because nobody reads handbooks anymore what do you thing about a MEGA APPLICATION which has samples for each script funktion available in MyVisualDatabase? It could show samples of all functions to show all capabilities of the software.

No more searching the forum for a specific function and maybe easier for Dmitry when he add a sample of new functions to this app. Other forum members could also do this and expand the application with their ideas

Also easier for us when we have to do some work at the customer and does not get a internet connection for any reason.

Helpfull for novices and advanced users. If you search how to do something, you would have it as source of ideas.

And NO, I am not looking to get the business secrets from others. I am only interested in getting a singe information source for all available script functions.

Please share your opinion about this idea.

Re: A Mega Application as sample for all Scipt functions.

lostdb wrote:

Because nobody reads handbooks anymore what do you thing about a MEGA APPLICATION which has samples for each script funktion available in MyVisualDatabase? It could show samples of all functions to show all capabilities of the software.

Who do you think should create this application? What prevents you from making this application yourself? smile

Визуальное программирование: блог и телеграм-канал.

Who do you think should create this application? What prevents you from making this application yourself?

Everyone could start with this. Best would be Dmitry, because he has developed the software.

I am working in europe and forced to leave MVD, because of the european privacy regulations since May 2018. The only interesting part for me are the rich text feature and database design, but the encyption is worse. Currently I am working in an environement where we must use SHA-2 and AES 256.

It was my intention to give new users for MVD a better impression of possibilites. Maybe usefull for prahousefamily and his students too.

I think it would end up in a massive messy app due to the many possibilities offered by scripts and features. It would be better to have a better documentation like a wiki with howto's maintained by a qualified community.

Now I agree with you that MVDB lacks a very important privacy feature and I do not know when they are going to implement encryption.

tcoton wrote:

Now I agree with you that MVDB lacks a very important privacy feature and I do not know when they are going to implement encryption.

Let me know what exactly you need to encrypt? Data in the database? Give me at least one free DBMS, where it is implemented. MVD works with MySQL and SQLite. It copes well with the tasks for which the DBMS data is intended. There is no encryption problem, there is the problem of choosing a development tool that would meet the tasks to be solved.

Let me know what exactly you need to encrypt? Data in the database? Give me at least one free DBMS, where it is implemented. MVD works with MySQL and SQLite. It copes well with the tasks for which the DBMS data is intended. There is no encryption problem, there is the problem of choosing a development tool that would meet the tasks to be solved.

Total right.

SQLite:
A paid version with encyption is available. Link at the forum.

MySQL:
SSL connection possible. Link at the forum.

SHA-2 (First problem)
Password Hash can only done with MD5. SHA-2 is not supported by MVD and MD5 is marked as broken.

AES256 (Second problem)
MVD has RC5, but this is not correct working due to UTF storing.
Some content, which is not a seach object, with confidential information must be stored inside the Database with AES256.

.dcu file (Third problem)
The .dcu file is not encrypted and a password for Database encyption or connection encyption can be read out. We have had an audit where is was flagged as an issue. The .dcu need to be encypted. Not storing the required password and asking the user to enter it on program start would make it possible to read the database also outside MVD. Makes this option also to an issue.

There is no encryption problem, there is the problem of choosing a development tool that would meet the tasks to be solved.

Sounds like much work for Dmitry and a question: Can he sale international a software with SHA-2 and AES256 from Russia?

Looks like I need another development tool.

What kind of environment? (if it is not a secret).

Healthcare.
Many personal information and regulations how to store and handle them.
(I should switch the employer, but the high of his payment is so sweet)

Et tu, Brute...

Well, I use manuals, but not to read. Somehow I have to light the fire in the fireplace in the living room. Incidentally, it works excelently.   smile

8 (edited by tcoton 2019-01-26 17:50:54)

.dcu file (Third problem)
The .dcu file is not encrypted and a password for Database encyption or connection encyption can be read out. We have had an audit where is was flagged as an issue. The .dcu need to be encypted. Not storing the required password and asking the user to enter it on program start would make it possible to read the database also outside MVD. Makes this option also to an issue.

+ 1, I would say this is the main issue and this has been a raised issue for a while now with no solution to it, which is a shame. I used to work for healthcare as well and developed many useful apps with MVDB but only for IT internal use and I could not push MVDB for anything else due to the readable .dcu even when using some tricks, the login and passwords where still plain text which is a NO GO!

k245 wrote:

Let me know what exactly you need to encrypt? Data in the database? Give me at least one free DBMS, where it is implemented.

I need to encrypt the configuration files of MVDB (the .ini and .dcu files) and the data in the database.

SQL Server express edition uses native encryption
MariaDB uses native data and tablespace encryption
Postgresql supports native encryption down to the column and up to the client connexion.

SQLite has add-ons to implement encryption like https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/ (it has an open source community edition)

anything else?

lostdb wrote:

Please share your opinion about this idea.

I started creating a mega app smile. I do not know how long it will take, but for the time being I find it interesting, I will continue. You can read about the process here http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewt … 327#p29327 or here https://vk.com/createmyvisualdatabaseapp (in Russian). Perhaps due to jean.brezhonek's efforts, versions of these articles in French and English will appear.