Topic: Help with a report project

Hello MVD community!

It's been a while since I've coded and now I have a project I need your help with

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a way to create a reporting tool, sort of a journal of daily tasks that each
technician needs to complete on a daily basis.  At the end of the week , the
project manager can print out a report of the accumulated tasks for the whole
week, either individually ( by technician) or as a whole, giving him an overview
of what was done that week.  This tool, needs to have the ability to be able to
allow copy and paste from Word or Excel documents, since most of the technicians
fill out their reports on either one of those formats. 

I'm not sure how to begin, need help and suggestions. If there is something similar,
please point me in the right diection so I can reuse some of the code and adapt to
what I'm trying to create here.

All your help is greatly appreciated - Thanis!!

2 (edited by derek 2021-02-11 21:42:27)

Re: Help with a report project

Hi,
Not sure if the attached is of any use.
It's an old application that I've just modified slightly with the sort of information you might need to hold.
You need to move the mouse to the bottom of the form to make the bounce-bar visible.
Feel free to hack it around and I hope it might give you some ideas.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon gp2k.zip 417.21 kb, 216 downloads since 2021-02-11 

derek wrote:

Hi,
It's an old application that I've just modified slightly with the sort of information you might need to hold.
You need to move the mouse to the bottom of the form to make the bounce-bar visible.
Derek.

Wow!  Nice to see you as always Derek.  Thanks for the response, this application of yours seems to be promising, I'll tweak it around a bit and
play with the controls and stuff to see if I can adapt it to what I need.  Definetely points me in the right path.  Again, thanks a lot for your support,
always willing to help out.  Appreciate it.  I'll post back with the progress to help others out tha might need something similar.
Glad to be back here!!

Cheers

derek wrote:

Hi,
Derek.

Hello All, Derek - one quick question about the profiles ... how could I make it so that each technician only sees their own notes?  Having it sort of roles so that each technician can add their own notes but not see the others, this way ony one person (supervisor, manager etc.. ) will be the only one with access to see all notes from everyone and be able to print the report.  I know it might involve modifying your script to add the role profiles and allowing or restricting views depending on the user, something in that direction, sort of.  Not sure if I'm clear.  Hope you can provide me with some guidance.

Thanks again!

5 (edited by derek 2021-02-13 21:54:46)

Hi Again,
Perhaps try doing it like in the attachment.
I've set up a couple of roles (more to future proof any thing you might want to do) but what drives 'who sees what' is whether the logged-in user is an administrator or not.
If the user is not an administrator, they can only see their own entries and they do not have access to any look-up tables or user maintenance.
If the user is an administrator, they can see all entries or filter entries by a specific user;  they can also add their own entries, if relevant, and change entries made by others, if required.  Only administrators will see the option to maintain look-up tables and maintain users.
The passwords (all in lower case) are the same as the user IDs
Hope this points you in the right direction.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon gp2k with authorisations.zip 420.14 kb, 227 downloads since 2021-02-13 

derek wrote:

Hi Again,
Perhaps try doing it like in the attachment.
I've set up a couple of roles (more to future proof any thing you might want to do) but what drives 'who sees what' is whether the logged-in user is an administrator or not.
If the user is not an administrator, they can only see their own entries and they do not have access to any look-up tables or user maintenance.
If the user is an administrator, they can see all entries or filter entries by a specific user;  they can also add their own entries, if relevant, and change entries made by others, if required.  Only administrators will see the option to maintain look-up tables and maintain users.
The passwords (all in lower case) are the same as the user IDs
Hope this points you in the right direction.
Derek.

Wow!  - Derek you're the best!  - as always , much appreciated.  Yes, this is something I can definetely work with, make a few adjustments and tweaks and I think it'll be superb for the project.  I'm posting back the full-fleged application when it's done to help others out.  Again, thanks Derek!