Topic: Transfer data from one table to another from 2 different databases

Hi all MVD,

I have crreated an app, then put some data into it already. After a suggestion was made to add a combobox to permit the user select a department to add to their entry for a form, this introduced some problems so I created another version of the app with the same tables plus this new added feature of the combobox. What I tried to do, was to copy over the database that's already populated with data over to the new App.  Basically I was using Browse SQLite to copy tables over the new database, the problem is, when I got to the part of a table that includes daily tasks and other things, gave me an error saying it couldn't complete the import because the table's columns don't match ( This because of the new combobox that adds the 'Department' part in the grid for the form.  Is there a way to overcome this problem?   Thanks for your help.

2 (edited by derek 2021-02-18 01:34:51)

Re: Transfer data from one table to another from 2 different databases

Hi,
I'm puzzled why you needed to create a new version of your application.
I'm presuming (since you mention adding a combobox), that you'd created a new table (e.g. 'departments') with a field (e.g. 'department') and made a relationship between 'dailytasks' and 'department', none of which should have caused any problem even if your project already had data in it.
If you attach the old version of your project, I'm sure someone could take a look;  I think this would be a simpler 'fix' rather than trying to import data to a new version.
Derek.

Re: Transfer data from one table to another from 2 different databases

derek wrote:

Hi,
I'm puzzled why you needed to create a new version of your application.
I'm presuming (since you mention adding a combobox), that you'd created a new table (e.g. 'departments') with a field (e.g. 'department') and made a relationship between 'dailytasks' and 'department', none of which should have caused any problem even if your project already had data in it.
If you attach the old version of your project, I'm sure someone could take a look;  I think this would be a simpler 'fix' rather than trying to import data to a new version.
Derek.

You're absolutely right Derek sorry about that, I figured it out after I thought about it a bit more deeper.  It's all solved now.  What happened in the beginning I was trying not to mess up the original project and started with a fresh new sqlite.db but when I tried importing the old data, ran into the problem described above.  Then I learned that I could simply add this new feature without any hassle.  Thanks as always!