1 (edited by papafrankc 2021-10-01 03:16:33)

Topic: Report on content of one field in a table

Hi Everyone,
I have  table with a field called spare
That field has 2 values Installed and Spare
I would like to print 2 reports - one with only records containing Installed and another with only records containing Spare.
Basically I would like to be able to filter a record in a table for the value in the field. I'm thinking that this ability to filter data could be useful going forward.
I have been told to use Report(SQL) but I have been unable to write a query that will do that for me.  My coding skills are limited :(
I have tried to do it using REPORT and REPORT(SQL) without success.
-------------------
One more comment, I have been able to use the filter option in a tableGrid to get only the records I referenced above, however I have not been able to transfer those records to a report.
Thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks, Frank

Re: Report on content of one field in a table

papafrankc,
I have an example based on my interpretation of your question.  Maybe this gives you some ideas.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon 7774_report-two-value-field_papafrankc.zip 328.13 kb, 178 downloads since 2021-10-02 

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

JoshuA,
Thank you so much.  Your solution looks like it should work for what I'd like to do.
And I think it may solve 2 issues that I've been thinking about.
1 - The Installed/Spare issue (my original question) and...
2 - How to store a value in a field using a combobox.  This one I hadn't asked about but recently I've been wondering if it could be done without creating a separate lookup table for stuff like YES/NO, INSTALLED/SPARE, MALE/FEMALE...etc
Currently with my Installed/Spare lookup table it requires me to access and manipulate 2 tables.  As opposed to having one field for Installed/Spare in my main Equipment table.  I believe this option will simplify things for me now and going forward.  I also have a lookup table called 'Priority' with HIGH, MEDIUM and LOW.  Using a combobox for these kinds of entries sounds like a good option for me.  THANK YOU smile
Frank

JoshuA,
I ran into an issue with the combo box on Form 2.
Everytime I would ADD or EDIT an entry it would add an extra Installed/Entry to the combo box.
So I added this line to the script file:
form2.ComboBox1.Items.Clear ; // ADDED to clear the combo box
Now it reads:
    Form2.ComboBox1.Items.Add('Spare');
    Form2.ComboBox1.Items.Add('Installed');

So everything is looking good so far.
Thanks again for your help
Frank

JoshuA,
I ran across something that you may be able to help me with.
I have implemented the Installed/Spare dropdown into my program and it works great.
Here's my scenario:
I add a new record using the dropdown cboSparePart.
If I choose 'Installed', it adds it to the hidden field EqSparePart. That's perfect.
However, when I save the record and then open it up again, the (cboSparePart) dropdown is empty.  When in reality the hidden field EqSparePart already has data in it from the previous activity.
So my question is, is there any way for the dropbox cboSparePart to show the value that was previously set?
Thanks
Frank

papafrankc,
I didn't test out the bugs, but you done a fine job with squashing them already.  Thanks for sharing your changes too.  I just hope I can remember them whenever I need to do this again in the future.
I'm not as experienced as some of the other folks here.  Just trying to give you some ideas to try because I have received a lot of useful help and ideas whenever I get in a pinch.  With that being said, anything you get from me needs to be extra tested!  LOL
As for your 2nd question, the only way I can think of for doing this is to copy back from the (hidden) text field when the user is editing via a ShowRecord condition.

procedure Form2_OnShow (Sender: TObject; Action: string);
begin
    Form2.ComboBox1.Items.Add('Spare');
    Form2.ComboBox1.Items.Add('Installed');

// For editing
    if Action = 'ShowRecord' then
        Form2.Combobox1.Text := Form2.Edit1.Text;
end;

Again, I haven't tested it for use.  But it seems to work on the first attempt.  I have also changed this in my example project in case it's necessary for someone else to reference.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon 7774_report-two-value-field_v2_papafrankc.zip 328.68 kb, 186 downloads since 2021-10-03 

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

JoshuA,
It works great, thank you.  Pretty simple, just a couple of added lines of code.
FYI - I've been working on adding the fix for the last few hours and it would not work in my program.  Very frustrating!!!  I followed your example to the letter, or so I thought?? And it still wouldn't work.
But just now I removed my combo box and replaced it with a new one.  And I applied the fix.  And VIOLA.....it's working.
I'll be darned if I know what I did differently but I'm not complaining because it works.
Tomorrow I'll go back through my code and see if I can figure out what I did differently this last time.
Thanks again, I keep on learning new stuff and that's a good thing.
Frank