Topic: Photo storage

Hello, I would like to know if it is better to store images in a separate folder or include it in MVD because my bases are getting very big and slow moving.

Sabine

Re: Photo storage

Hi Sabine,
If you are going to have more than just a few images, I would always recommend storing them in a separate folder (which may or not be within the application folder, just so long as the actual image isn't being stored within the sqlite.db).
To store them outside of the sqlite.db, you need to
1.  change the 'type' property of the dbimage object from 'storefile' to 'linkfile'.
2.  create a folder where your program should copy images to
3.  enter the name of that folder in the 'copyto' property of the dbimage object.
(see the attachment)
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon linkfile for photos.zip 420.35 kb, 223 downloads since 2021-12-01 

3 (edited by sdpc62 2021-12-01 16:55:09)

Thank you for your answer Derek, it works well but for only 1 file.
My program that I am using currently stores the images in a "My stamps" folder which is divided into several other folders by year, it works correctly and I was wondering if by force of scanning the timbres and with the number that It will represent I hope that it will not slow down the program too much.

Merci pour ta réponse Derek, ca fonctionne bien mais pour 1 seul dossier.
Mon programme que j'utilise stock en ce moment les images dans un dossier "Mes timbres" qui est réparti en plusieurs autres dossier par années, il fonctionne correctement et je me posais la question si a force de scanner les timbres et avec le nombre que ca va représenter j'espère que ca va pas ralentir trop le programme.

Sabine

Hi Sabine,
If you want to use 'linkfile' to reduce the size of your application but also want to link to different folders (depending on the year, for example), then you could try it like this (please see the attachment).
It uses a look-up table that you maintain yourself to associate a specific year with a specific folder.
Maybe this solves your problem.
Derek

Post's attachments

Attachment icon linkfile for photos2.zip 1.8 mb, 219 downloads since 2021-12-04 

Thanks for your answers Derek, dbImage was on StoreFile, I'm going to try Linkfile because my files already have their paths.
I will look for a solution to speed up the prog.
Sabine