Topic: Help File

Hi All,
I would like to insert a Help File inside my MVD program.  Something like the HELP option at the top of MVD.  I would like my Help File to include the explanations about how my program works and how to use it. Having it be searchable like MVD HELP would be nice also.
Is this something that MVD users are able to do?
Thanks
Frank

2 (edited by joshuA 2021-12-17 21:31:10)

Re: Help File

Hi papafrankc,
When you speak of help files- the letters CFM comes to my mind.  I know this is outside of MVD, but it could be an option until the others mention something else...
I have not gotten this far with any of my projects to need help files (yet), but this is where I would start.
Here is a free version of the tool that creates the files, but you would need to learn how to use it.  I installed it and briefly looked around- it seems straight forward.  I'm sure there would be a way to link to it from within MVD.
Good luck,
-joshuA

P.S.
I meant CHM, and not CFM... not sure where that came from lol  too many acronyms floating around in my head
And yes, jean.brezhonek's 8th post in here is an updated link to the one above.

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

Destiny, JoshuA,
Thanks for the feedback.  Your ideas look like a good place to start.
I'm also wondering, if I had a Help file all ready to go, how would I call it from my program?  I thought maybe using a MVD button, but I'm not sure that would work.
Thanks
Frank

Hi All,
Frank, I guess you have a choice between using a 3rd party option as others have mentioned or keeping it all 'in house'.
As always, I go for the simple option so please have a look at the attached.
Bear in mind the following:
1.  having it 'like the help option at the top of MVD' is easy enough - just redirect to your own 'user guide' form.  But this is only available on the first screen of your application and if users are 3-4 screens down, then they'd have to navigate all the way back to the main form to get help which isn't so user friendly.
2.  perhaps as a better option, I'd simply use a button that can be placed anywhere on any form (and with no additional scripting) that just calls the 'user guide' form so that help is always available, no matter where you are in the application.
3.  On the 'user guide' form itself, I'd use an RTF object for a couple of reasons:
3.1  you can use the standard RTF 'search' option. 
3.2  again, using standard RTF functionality, you can use different fonts, colours etc to make the 'user guide' more visually attractive.
3.3  most people are familiar with RTF editing, so you could allow your users to 'own' the 'user guide' and maintain it themselves.
Anyway, just some thoughts.
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon helpfile.zip 340.2 kb, 165 downloads since 2021-12-16 

Hello all, Hello Derek

You can also use the free version of Help'N'Doc.
Dmitry used it for the MVD help file and I also used it for the French version which I made of it.

JB

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing that example derek.  I hadn't thought of doing it that way.  I have a few forms with labels for general information, and it can be a pain doing this using labels.  I'm going to switch them to RTF now big_smile

-joshuA

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."

Hi All,
Jean - thanks for the info' on Help'N'Doc - that's going to be useful for me.
Joshua,
If switching to RTF, you might want to consider a couple of extra options with a bit of script.
1.  Depending on which form you have asked for 'help' from, you can go to specific sections of the RTF (ie if you click the 'help' button on Form1, you go directly to the section for Form 1 etc).
2.  You can also do things like click on a label and go to a specific place in the RTF for a detailed explanation (have a look at Form2 and click on the D.O.B. label (when I do this, I underline the label so the user knows there is some sort of functionality there).
I guess it really depends how far you want to take it but for very specific things like that, I'd probably just use a hint or tooltip instead
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon helpfile2.zip 356.64 kb, 181 downloads since 2021-12-18 

8 (edited by papafrankc 2021-12-18 04:24:24)

Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your helpful responses to my question.
Where I'm at, so far, is that the RTF solution from Derek looks like it's most likely going to work for me.
First, my application is a pretty simple one, with not a lot of complexity.
Also I don't have a lot of stuff to put in my Help section, so far.
JoshuA mentioned using forms with labels.  That's what I was doing and it's very limiting and not very efficient.  The RTF method is way better.  I can use colors, variable font and print sizes, image inserts...etc.  I've been grabbing some screen shots and inserting them into my RTF document. Pretty neat smile
Jean, I checked out the HelpNDoc application and at first glance it looks pretty powerful.  However since you have to pay for the commercial version and RTF is free, I'm going to stay with RTF for now.  But I see the value in knowing that the program is available.
My feeling, at this time, is that if anyone is looking for a basic Help solution, they should definitely check out Derek's RTF example.
Thanks again everyone,
Frank