Topic: Using Web Grid

It says I have to use a MYSQL Database to use the web grid.

So can I choose to create a SQL Database from the start of using My Visual Database ?

And if not, Why Not ?

Re: Using Web Grid

You want to use Web Grid for already exists database, which have created without using MVD?

Dmitry.

I wanted to use WEB GRID to use on the start up of a new MVD database, so that I can create a web database.

The Engineer wrote:

I wanted to use WEB GRID to use on the start up of a new MVD database, so that I can create a web database.

Yes you can, just connect MVD to MySQL and create tables and fields, then you can use dialog to create webgrid.

Dmitry.

So how do I do that ?

If it was with in your MVD software you could direct me.

Just switch to MySQL database and enter login and password from you MySQL database and press "Connect"
Then you can create tables and fields as usually.

Dmitry.

I have clicked on the SQL Button to change to and login to the bottom MySQL to create for the web and it won't let me create tables !

Do I have to create tables first ?

Need some Help.

The Engineer wrote:

I have clicked on the SQL Button to change to and login to the bottom MySQL to create for the web and it won't let me create tables !

Do I have to create tables first ?

Need some Help.

What do you mean "SQL Button"?

If MySQL don't let you to create tables, may be your MySQL user don't have permission for that. When you develop database structure, I recommend you use user with permission "ALTER TABLES" or use root user.

Dmitry.

Obviously you are getting the wrong information.

When you open MyVisualDatabase on the right hand side of the screen you have a SQL Button, please explain clearly what it is for ?

I don't have an account with MySQL so can I not use this Button ?

All I wanted is to use MYVISUALDATABASE and use the WEBGRID so I could create a database for the web.

Hello there,
I know almost nothing but asked a few questions on the link http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2183 and it may help you also. After experimenting I did not use MySQL Community Edition. Of the two servers Dmitry mentioned, I preferred uniform server. They are both free. Uniform Server does not require install. Just download, extract, and run. After running the server, create a new MVD project and save it before doing anything. Then choose the MySQL option on the button on the right and you can connect to the server you have just run. I have not used webgrid, just desktop database. Webgrid will be the next step. Hope that helps.
Regards, David.

Here you can find ready to use Windows server, which include Apache, MySQL and PHP:
http://www.uniformserver.com/
http://www.uwamp.com/en/

Yes but what are these used for ?

Can I design Database for through the webgrid with them ?

Do you use them independent of webgrid ?

I am not a programmer.

Hello,
when you create a MVD project using the SQLite data, your MVD project talks to the database file and there is no other install required. When a database server is used, your MVD project talks to the server software and that in turn talks to the data files. There are advantages such as robustness with high number of users and security. You must use MySQL for a web grid application. Like you I wish to do web grid and I have started the process by learning about the database server with PC based applications. You need to start by downloading one of the free servers mentioned or another choice if you prefer. You do not need to create any other account somewhere else to use MySQL. I use uniserver. Steps for a PC project are using uniserver are as follows:
1. Run the server software on your local PC. The default password is usually "root".
2. When the server software appears, click on start apache and start MySQL (keep in mind I refer to uniserver but they are all similar)
3. Run MVD.
4. Start a new MVD project and save it straight away before doing anything
5. Click on the right hand database button and choose MySQL
6. Click on the "Connect to MySQL" button in the window that has just appeared.
7. As your server is on the same PC as MVD, you enter "localhost" as the server name. Port is 3306 and user name and password are "root".
8. You will see a green "+" button at the bottom by the Database field. Click on this and enter the name you wish for the server to know the new database by. I put "MySQLTest" then click ok.
9. Click the connect button and if all is working, that window will disappear and you will see the window where you choose SQLite or MySQL. Click ok in that windows and it will disappear.
10. Now create a MVD project.
11. When you run the project, a "Connect" window will appear where you enter the connection information to the server (localhost etc etc). At the bottom database field there is a down arrow where you can choose from multiple databases if you have created more than one. (The server can handle multiple different databases so you don't need a new server every time you make a new database).
12. After clicking Connect, your application should start running.
While this is not a webgrid, it is the starting point I am using to learn what I need to know in order to use webgrid particularly as it evolves more.
As said previously, I probably know less than just about anybody but I feel your pain and offer the above as the steps I used at least to break the ice. Hope it can help you.
Regards, David

Thanks for information.

When you said you use Uniserver is that the same one as uniformserver.com or is it another ?

Are you also saying that once you have your MyVisualDatabase running and you've clicked the MySQL button you would see the server that you have just installed ?

It would have been better if MyVisualDatabase had all these measures built in the software, to make this an easy to use Database program for all none programmers to use on or off the web.

Hello, yes same one. Go to http://www.uniformserver.com/ and on the left side there is a orange button that says "Download now for windows". Download it into a directory and double click the file you download and it will extract the files. Then go to the subdirectory it extracted to and read the text files. Double click the file called UniController to run it. There is a readme file in the directory too telling you about another Microsoft file you need to download and its install is easy. Also it does not run on XP. I chose this server as it has menu options to backup its databases and seemed easy for a beginner.
Once you have run the server and started apache and MySQL, you can start your MVD project. When you do that connection business in MVD, you are connecting to the Uniform server you have just started. Once you get going you will find it makes sense.
I am sure MVD will include many more features over time. I have had exposure to many different programming languages and database development systems over the years and I can say that MVD is among the best development software choices I have ever made.
All the best, David.

I know all about MVD as I am then person that converted the manual to English, some years ago now.

Thanks David

The Engineer

Hi there, yes I have acknowledged your good work with the manual previously and I use it often. Hope all is working with the server and Webgrid. Regards, David.