1 (edited by v_pozidis 2016-12-22 06:17:57)

Topic: 2 questions

I attach a pic for my questions.  I still can not understand what the checkbox dictionary in the table means. and the other is what the ^ symbol is when I check it in a record, (When i delete the record from The table City it will delete it and from the table Person? Can you send me en example please. Also could you send me the last MVBD beta version ? Thank you and Mary Christmas . Vassilis

Post's attachments

Attachment icon questions.jpg 55.13 kb, 219 downloads since 2016-12-22 

Re: 2 questions

Hello v_pozidis

This question about Dictionnary has already been asked in this forum.
It is difficult to answer them very precisely.
For simplicity, a dictionnary  is a tool where all assets are stored and managed.
The dictionary will normally be a relational database which will store all the development assets.
For that, we use Hashing. Hashing is a mathematical algorithm applied to a key to generate a position in a block of storage.
This algorithm ensures that only that key value equates with its block position and vice versa.

With MVD, if you check this option (see your image), a hashing is created for each table you check.
So, the main goal is to ^make faster all your requests between tables.
It's a real complex mechanism. Am I enough clear ?

About second question, if you check this option, that's mean every time you delete an item from this table (City in your example, non only this item is removed from table City, but all links created with other tables in you project are also removed.

Good day and happy Christmas to you, Dmitry and all MVD fans.

JB

3 (edited by v_pozidis 2016-12-22 10:37:23)

Thank's for your help. I understood the ^ symbol. Is a good tool but the Dictionnary not. Can in simply words? Has anyone the latest beta version ? if yes please send the link.

v_pozidis wrote:

Thank's for your help. I understood the ^ symbol. Is a good tool but the Dictionnary not. Can in simply words? Has anyone the latest beta version ? if yes please send the link.

Here you can read about Cascade delete
http://myvisualdatabase.com/help_en/dat … igner.html

About dictionary
http://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=949

Dmitry.

Hello all,

Reading this thread with great interest, I have to admit I never fully understood what dictionaries stood for.

Form what I read, Jean seams to say that, with the hash system, queries were faster and more efficient if the relational table was set to dictionary.

So my question is as follows :

Let say I have :
- a table called ASSETS with 35.000 entries
- a table called KEYWORDS with 30 entries
- a table called ASSET_KW linking the 2 previous tables to assign n keywords to n assets

Would my queries on keywords assigned to assets be faster if the ASSET_KW table was set to dictionary ?

http://i.imgur.com/2HjbaXM.jpg

Cheers

Mathias

I'm a very good housekeeper !
Each time I get a divorce, I keep the house

Zaza Gabor

Option "dictionary" does not affect the speed.

Dmitry.