Topic: Newbee Questions

Stumbled upon this program ver 4.3 via internet alternatives to dBase/Clipper/VO.

After a try-out constructing a small app to manage a CardBoardModel-Inventary here the verdict:
- very nice and handy to use (building time about 5 days as a quite simple), but

-- the availlable documentation is lousy, especially about the report generator who gets no database
   access from within the constructed app, not functioning picture storage outside DBF and access
   from within a report, etc etc
-- very little to no information about property uses in forms and controls etc
-- no option to store/print the app-construction layout data for later use, fx for later app extension
-- no option to copy a form to speedup form-creations by templating the content fx
-- inconsistencies like MEMO fields not in the database (no field) and therefore not in a report
and, and...

But I'm still interested, so what can the current version more than 4.3 regarding the drawbacks above? Is there any chance to get a version description regarding it's range of construction options ?

And most urgent:
- is this project still on the move (net comments suggests otherwise) ?
- where can I purchase ver 6.5 via invoice or prepay (avoiding unsecure 
  net handling/delivery) ?

Would be nice if somebody could give me a replay, thanks

Re: Newbee Questions

The project is no longer developed by the author, but is still alive thanks to the close-knit community of this forum. All information about the possibility of buying is on the official website -

Unfortunately, there is still no exhaustive and complete information about the possibilities of the system. But you can use online project documentation … abase.html

and other sources of information, such as this forum. Or my blog where I share my experience of using MVDB

Визуальное программирование: блог и библиотека.

Re: Newbee Questions

There is a link from within the MVD development environment to a User Guide in .pdf format that you can download ( … p?id=2694) as well as on-line videos on the MVD website, the on-line documentation mentioned by K245 and specific help via this Forum;  whilst documentation (for any software) could always be improved, to describe it as 'lousy' is somewhat unfair.
To copy a form, you simply create a new empty form as your 'target', then from your 'source' form right-click to select all the components, then select copy before pasting them on to the 'target' form. 
Alternatively, hold down the 'shift key' and select a sub-set of the components from the 'source' form that you want and then copy them on to the 'target' form.
I don't know how much easier you need it to be.
What do you mean by 'not functioning picture storage outside DBF'?  Does using the 'linkfile' option not give you what you want or are you referring to something different?
What do you mean about 'inconsistencies like MEMO fields not in the database'?  Can you not use a 'text' field placed in a 'memo' object or are you referring to something different?

Re: Newbee Questions

MVD is an outstanding database IDE application at affordable price. The forum support is mind blowing. All the doubts and roadblocks encountered during application development are answered by learned forum members.
Personally, last 4 years has been a great learning experience for me. I am able to develop many standalone Windows database applications which are used by me on a daily basis, thanks to the enormous support I received from the forum members and forum discussions.
I only wish that MVD is developed further and lives on.

Re: Newbee Questions

questo è quello che vorremmo tutti


Re: Newbee Questions

Thanks to all of you for the quick replies.

Just for clarification: I did'nt mean to insult the Program or it's creator, the app is really good.

It was rather the lack of manual that bothered me, but this is well taken care of thanks to

All that's left for me is ordering and will be done.

But I still have a last question:

Since I've never written one single line of pascal in my life - and here we are talking of Delphi
I suppose - what would be the best app solution to use to create the scripts to implement in
MVD, and further: as I understand it are all classes etc in their syntax Delphi-conform meaning
they could be approached from within MVD scripts - or am I wrong here ?

regards to all,


Re: Newbee Questions

MVDB allows you to create non-code applications, that is, in 80% of cases you will not have to write any code. And for the remaining 20%, knowledge of the object model and Pascal syntax will be required. This language is simple, close to algorithmic. But for success, you will need to study the components used in MVDB.

Визуальное программирование: блог и библиотека.