Topic: My Visual Database and RAD

Good day, I'm from Argentina, and I apologize for using ChatGPT to make this inquiry as my written English is not the best.
I used Clarion software (SoftVelocity) in 1987, which is a RAD (Rapid Application Development) software.
Is it possible that My Visual Database is working on the possibility of integrating RAD technology into the software? That is, once the database structure is created, automatically generating forms based on templates.
I hope I have been clear. Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience.

2 (edited by k245 2023-07-10 14:38:55)

Re: My Visual Database and RAD

There is no such possibility in MVDB. But there are tools that facilitate the creation of table views and editing forms based on the structure of the database.

According to my observations, automatic creation of forms only by the database data structure does not cover all the tasks that arise in real application development. One more level of abstractions is needed - data representations (views).

MVDB offers a combined form development technology that takes into account both the data structure and some representations. I mean calculated fields. But, unfortunately, their use can lead to a drop in performance. Therefore, it is possible to use a SQL query as a data source. But, unfortunately, not at the level of database design, but at the level of user interface implementation.

Визуальное программирование: блог и телеграм-канал.

Hi AquiMartinez, Привет Konstantin,
I am familiar with Clarion (and Clipper, FoxPro etc) and although MVD does not have a form generator, the way in which you create forms is very quick and straightforward. 
It is also possible to copy objects (labels, edit fields, comboboxes, tablegrids etc) from one form to another which makes things very easy.  So although there is no form generator, it is still very rapid and I would suggest that it offers more flexibility than Clarion's form generator (or any other form generator).
You can find many projects that have been uploaded to the Forum so it might be worth downloading some examples to see exactly what you can achieve.
One thing to be aware of is that MyVisualDatabase is not currently under active development any more;  for some people, this is a cause for concern.
Derek.

I greatly appreciate your prompt response.
In the forum, a user (whose name I don't remember) mentioned that by editing the XML file, any form can be duplicated to reconfigure it.
The free program I found is XmlNotepad (is it a good tool for you?), but I couldn't find one that allows me to view the form in real time with the changes.
Once again, I thank you for your attention.
Greetings from Mendoza (the land of sun and good wine), Argentina.

It is possible to duplicate forms this way but I don't think it's the most efficient way to proceed.
In the attachment, there are two forms (Form1 and Form2).
Form1 has objects on it, Form2 is empty.
1.  to copy an individual object from Form1, click on it to highlight it, right-click and select 'copy' and then paste it on to Form2.
2.  to copy a group of objects from Form1, click on the first object you want, hold 'shift' and click on any other objects, right-click and select 'copy' and then paste them on to Form2.
3.  to copy ALL of the objects from Form1, right-click anywhere on Form1, choose 'select all', then right-click and choose 'copy' and then paste everything on to Form2.
It only takes a few seconds and is the fastest and also easiest way to do it.
With respect, when you are familiar with some other software (ie Clarion), it is tempting to look for identical functionality (ie a form generator) in MVD and this isn't always making the best use of the new software;  with MVD, this perhaps often happens when people who are familiar with Excel, expect the tablegrids in MVD to behave like a spreadsheet (which can be done to a degree but isn't using it to its full potential).
Derek.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon aquimartinez.zip 436.17 kb, 126 downloads since 2023-07-10 

Derek.
Again, thank you very much for responding, as well as clarifying the issue of copying elements. I used to select them with the "shift" key, but I hadn't noticed the "select all" option.

I want to share that I used to use a software called Clarion (I no longer use it because when they made changes to the working environment, it became very complex for me to use, in addition to the language issue). So, one looks for something similar for the sake of time, and MVD stands out for its simplicity and clean interface.

At this point, I want to talk about the radical changes in the working interface of different programs as they evolve. I am 62 years old. I graduated as an electrical and electronics technician in 1980. In 1988, I bought a PC 286, and I got hooked. At that time, the operating system was MS-DOS, and then came Windows 3.0 and all the subsequent changes. Some were good, but others were so drastic that, in my opinion, they clashed with reality and caused the implementation to fail.

In 1990, driven by design, the company I worked for (state energy, 500 kV interconnected system) needed to convert all the plans from paper to magnetic support. They had brought a Compaq 386 PC from the United States with Windows, an office package (I think it was Works), AutoCAD V10, and a Calcomp pen plotter - a real treasure. This forced me to learn technical English and taught myself AutoCAD V10 (there were no courses available), eventually becoming proficient in CAD to the point of programming in Lisp.

In addition, I sought more powerful tools such as Microstation (excellent CAD software), Solid Works, Vectorworks, and others. Back then, very few people in the private sector had computers capable of running programs like AutoCAD, and in Argentina, the prices of equipment and software were very high, making it a challenge to have good equipment. I worked in many fields: construction, electricity, oil, medicine, etc., and for many companies.

I apologize for detailing my experience and expressing my gratitude for having discovered the wonderful world of informatics at its beginnings. If there's any way I can be helpful, it would be my pleasure to contribute. Please feel free to ask me anything.

Now, a point that I find relevant is that there have been attempts in the forum to translate the program. Is there a Spanish translation available? If not, I'm willing to collaborate on the translation and test it. I've translated manuals to Spanish using Google and other online tools, so if you think it's a good idea, I can upload them for anyone who needs them.

Greetings, and thank you very much for your attention.

Aquilino

I can work with views created in the database via script. Does anyone know if I can include a view, after being created in sqlite, in the "Database tables" tab of Myvisualdatabase. This would dramatically increase development on the MVD.

Roberto Alencar

jrga wrote:

I can work with views created in the database via script. Does anyone know if I can include a view, after being created in sqlite, in the "Database tables" tab of Myvisualdatabase. This would dramatically increase development on the MVD.

Theoretically, there should be no restrictions. To access views, do you use the button in SQL query mode? It would be easier if you added your project.

derek wrote:

3.  to copy ALL of the objects from Form1, right-click anywhere on Form1, choose 'select all', then right-click and choose 'copy' and then paste everything on to Form2.
With respect, when you are familiar with some other software (ie Clarion), it is tempting to look for identical functionality (ie a form generator) in MVD and this isn't always making the best use of the new software;  with MVD, this perhaps often happens when people who are familiar with Excel, expect the tablegrids in MVD to behave like a spreadsheet (which can be done to a degree but isn't using it to its full potential).
Derek.

THZ to show me where are "Select All" jejejeje
And yes, I use more excel than phpMyAdmin even though I have been partying with wordpress for more than 17 years xD

10 (edited by k245 2024-04-25 09:59:38)

dontexpectless wrote:
derek wrote:

Derek.

THZ to show me where are "Select All" jejejeje
And yes, I use more excel than phpMyAdmin even though I have been partying with wordpress for more than 17 years xD

It's in popup menu:
https://myvisualdatabase.com/forum/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10412&download=0

Post's attachments

Attachment icon изображение_2024-04-25_125833696.png 27.18 kb, 3 downloads since 2024-04-25